Chapter Forty-Nine

"Hey Judy!" Jess greeted as she stepped into the kitchens in search of Curtis. Judy greeted Jessica back with a smile and a nod as she carried a tray of cookies to the ovens. "Have you seen Curtis around by chance?" Jess questioned, following her friend to the oven. Judy nodded.

"Last I saw he was talking to Abby over by the hot coco machines." Judy lowered her voice to a whisper. "He thinks he's going to get fired because of the reindeer."

"I promise he is not going to get fired." Jess assured before going over to the coco machines. Curtis and Abby were there, each of them holding a steaming mug and laughing, neither of them noticed the painter elf until she spoke. "Curtis!" This startled the number two elf so badly that he almost spilled his hot chocolate.

"Hi, Jessica!" He exclaimed. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine Curtis, I feel fine. In fact I have some news that I would like to share with you."

"With...me?"

"Yes, with you, and Abby of course." She added when second elf started to walk away. Abby turned around, eager to hear what the news was. "You two will be the first to know outside of the family, Im pregnant."

"You're having a baby?" Abby repeated excitedly. Like most elves, she loved kids and was very excited that there would soon be baby elves around the workshop. The that it would be Jess and Bernard's baby somehow made it more exciting.

"Technically we are having two." Jess explained. She knew she'd have to get used to correcting people with that. "I'm pregnant with twins, a boy and a girl."

"Babies? That's...that's great news!" Curtis let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding. He gave Jessica a hug. "I thought I was going to get fired because of..."

"Because of the reindeer incident? Most everyone's probably forgotten about that by now." She tried to comfort him. In truth no one had forgotten about the baby reindeer running through the workshop last week, but It wouldn't help to tell Curtis that. "I would really appreciate it if you two could keep things quiet for now, I'll tell Judy my secret on the way out, but other than that you can't tell anyone. I'm sure Bernard will want to make some sort of official announcement."

"Don't worry," Abby assured, "You're secret's safe with us."

"I know I can trust you both. And the reason why I came to find you Curtis, is because Bernard and I are going to be very busy with preparation for the babies and Christmas. And my husband's not going to ask you for your help, so I will."

"But how can I help?" The number two elf gulped.

"Well for starters, no more unauthorized experiments. The last thing we need is a Toy Bernard running around demanding this or that. And no more animals outside of their designated areas, agreed?" Curtis nodded. "Curtis I know you're smart. You know what things needs to get done in order to get ready for Christmas. So this year, help Bernard. Help me and the rest of the Pole. Make sure the important things don't slip through the cracks."

"I think I can do that."

"Thanks Curtis. Thank you Abby." Jess gave Curtis another hug and one to Abby before seeking out Judy over by the ovens. The head of the kitchen was also overjoyed to hear Bernard and Jess's life changing news. Like Curtis and Abby, Judy also promised to do everything she could to assist the couple. So Jessica left the kitchens satisfied that her friends would be there if and when she needed something from them.

Bernard was still in his office but he felt much better after his heart to heart with his father-in-law. It was probably the most serious conversation the two had ever shared. Needless to say Bernard was feeling a little emotional when his wife finally made her way up to his office. She let herself in and perched on the corner of the desk, despite his urging that she sit in a chair.