Chapter Seventy-Three

"There they are!" Laura gushed when Jessica, Nick and Noel arrived hand-in-hand to Scott and Carol's living room. The Millers, the Newmans and Carol had already begun decorating the Christmas tree but Scott was nowhere to be seen. He must still be showing Lucy the Hall of Snowglobes. Jess guessed since her sister was also missing.

"Nana!" Both kids were ecstatic to see their grandmother and grandfather visiting, so they wobbled across the room before being scooped up into great big hugs by Neil and Laura.

"Are these the grandchildren we've heard so much about?" Sylvia asked with a smile.

"Yes!" Carol nodded enthusiastically. "You remember Jessica from earlier, she was with us at the start of the tour. These are her two kids Nicholas and Noel. They're about two now, so they'll be able to grow up right alongside their aunt or uncle."

"Well they are absolutely adorable Jessica." Sylvia complimented. "Such cute little dimples, and what thick curly hair!"

"Yeah." Jess smirked, she tried not to let her sadness show. "They get that from their dad. But the eyes, those are mine."

"Where is the father?" Bud piped up as he hung a red Christmas ball on the tree. "Why haven't we seen him yet?"

"Oh, ah, Bernard is working now." Jess explained. She had known Bernard would have to eventually come up in conversation, it was only natural that Carol's parents would want to know about Nick and Noel's father. Luckily, Jess had the foresight to think up a reasonable explanation to give the Newmans. "That's how we met, he was the foreman for the factory when Dad and I moved up here. Now that we have the kids, I work mornings and he works afternoons or nights. He's taken a step down from foreman so that the kids always have someone home."

"I see." Bud seemed to approve of this story. "So, you're saying your husband understands how to prioritize family over work?"

"Yes." Jess agreed through gritted teeth, understanding the subtle undertone in Bud's words. If Jess were anyone else she would have just let the back handed comment go, but she wasn't anyone else. She was a Calvin and the family had built quite a reputation on not knowing when to keep quiet. "My dad understand the importance of family too, he's there for us when we really need it."

"Well I'll believe that when I see it." Bud mumbled before reaching for another ornament.

"Jess, why don't you come over here and help me?" Laura called out to her daughter. She could see the distressed look on Carol's face and was trying to help. After all that's what she and Neil were there for, defusing awkward moments. "Carol asked me to make some garland out of popcorn. I think Nick and Noel would enjoy it too."

"Say Carol, do you want me to put the tree topper on while I'm up here?" Neil asked. He was already standing on a ladder adding ornaments to the upper half of the tree.

"Actually Neil, if you don't mind I'd like to save the topper for Scott. He does it every year." Carol told him with a smile.

"Say no more!" Neil went back to placing ornaments in his section of the tree.

"Hi, Honey I'm back!" At last Scott burst into the room. He was smiling and for the first time all day looked like he was actually happy. "Now I finally get to spend time with you guys!"

Carol smiled. She was able to relax for the first time since her parents had arrived at the pole. This is exactly what she'd wanted, to be surrounded by family and to be able to spend some time together without being interrupted by this crisis or that problem. Everyone was together in one room and it finally felt like Christmas. She handed Scott one of her favorite ornaments. He kissed her on the cheek and outstretched his hand to place it in a nearby branch. That was when Curtis came bursting into the room.