Chapter Fifty-Nine

"Stop telling me what I need!" Barnard growled. "I don't even know your name. You must be new. Are you a transfer from Keebler? Let me tell you something Mrs. Keebler, I am the Head Elf. That means I'm in charge here. And that means I tell you what you need to do. Not the other way around."

"You...don't...You have no idea who I am?" Jessie was crestfallen. The man she'd been married to for seven years, the father of her two kids, didn't know who she was.

"No, I don't. So why don't you go find Judy she's the president of our New Elf Orientation Committee. She'll show you around and teach you how things work around here..." Jess pressed a hand tightly against her lips to stop herself from bursting into to tears. Not only did her husband not remember her, he was rude and inconsiderate.

"Bernard!" Curtis hissed, but he recoiled after receiving a deadly glare from the Head Elf. "Um, that is Bernard, sir. This is my sister, Jessica..."

"Curtis, what are you...?"

"Just go with it." He whispered from the corner of his mouth. "Jessica came to visit me, and she's a medical nurse from Keebler. When she hear that you passed out, she came to help, but she's leaving now. Come on Jessica, I'll walk you out." Curtis picked up the baby carrier that Nick was sleeping soundly in, and grabbed Jess by the elbow. She had just enough time to pick up her daughter's carrier, as he dragged her out of the Sick Bay.

"What's happened to him?" She hissed as the doors closed soundlessly behind them. Curtis shrugged helplessly.

"We need the doctor to make sure, but I think that he thinks it's Christmas 1994." The number two explained.

"So all that talk about Santa falling off the roof, he doesn't mean my dad."

"Right, he's thinking about the Santa who was Santa before Scott Calvin." Curtis nodded. "That's why he doesn't remember you. The two of you didn't actually meet until Thanksgiving of the following year."

"He doesn't remember any of us. Charlie, Dad, the...the kids." Her voice cracked.

"Jess? Is everything alright?" Scott spotted his daughter and Curtis whispering outside of Sick Bay so he decided to find out what's up. "Is Bernard awake?"

"He is." The number two elf confirmed.

"Well that's great!" Scott beamed. "Why do you two look so glum? This is great news! We should be shouting this from the rooftops, well maybe not the rooftops that's what got us into this whole mess in the first place, am I right?"

"No Dad, it's not great." Jess huffed. "Because Bernard this it's Christmas 1994. He doesn't know who you are, he doesn't even know who I am! He has no idea that we're married or that we have kids! He thinks I transferred from Keebler. Bernard hates Keebler elves! I...I can't deal with this!"

"Hey, hey." Scott pulled his daughter into a hug. "Listen, shhhh, it's going to be alright. Whatever this is we'll work it out okay? You can't make a scene here in the Workshop. Let's see, Christmas 1994? Bernard still remembers who you are right, Curtis?"

"Yes, sir." He nodded.

"Ok good. I want you to send for Dr. Hismus and then you stay with Bernard, okay? You're the only one on the family he remembers, so you've got to keep an eye on him until we figure this out."

"I won't let you down!" Curtis promised before running to find the doctor.

"How about I carry the kids and walk you three home?" Scott suggested. He picked up a baby carrier in each hand before she could protest.

"Dad, I'm upset but I'm more than capable of getting my kids home."

"I know you are Princess." He smiled. "But I'm going to carry them just the same. And I think we should call your mother and have her come up here."

"No, we really don't need to call mom all the way up here, she has work and Lucy..."

"Well I'm sorry Jessie but I really think we need help with this. I'm in way over my head." He confessed.

"Every day since you took on this job you've been in over your head." His daughter tried her best at a dry joke. "You never called Mom before. So let's not start now."

"You know it's not the same thing." Scott countered. He swung open the front door of his daughter's house. "And I've had lots of help. Curtis and Bernard taught me everything when I started. Then You and Charlie were always here to support me too. So let your mom and I support you now."

"If you want to get someone to help, get Charlie."

"Charlie? I don't think he's got any experience with amnesia Jessie." Her father seemed skeptical.

"Listen, Bernard thinks it's Christmas 1994 right? Well, during Christmas 1994 Charlie was only eight. Maybe seeing a Charlie Calvin who's aged eleven years will spark something."

"I don't know about this..."

"Please call Charlie. I need him here." She begged. "I don't know how to explain it, but when Charlie's around...it just feels like anything's possible. We need him here."

"Fine." Scott agreed at last. "I'll call your brother and as soon as he can get away from his life, I'll have him here. In the meantime, I'm sorry sweetheart, but I'm afraid you're going to have to stay away from Bernard."

"I trust that he's in good hand with Curtis." She said, trying to sound like she believed it.

"We'll take care of him." Scott promised. "And we'll fix this. For now let's focus on the one good thing that's happened today, Bernard's awake. He's not in a coma anymore."

"Bernard's awake." She repeated. "He's not in a coma anymore."