Chapter Eighty-Three

"Okay, that oughtta do it." Jess was crouched on the floor next to a control panel, still working with Bernard in the Naughty and Nice room. She screwed faceplate back on over the exposed wiring before tapping the box proudly. "One working Naughty and Nice list machine at your service." She smiled, proud of herself.

"Let's test it out, just to be sure." Bernard suggested., helping her to her feet. As far as he remembered, Jess wouldn't even change a lightbulb if she didn't have to. She was not a fan of messing with electricity. But the former Head Elf was surprised when he turned a knob on the machine in question and it whirled to life, good as new. There a round a celebrator applause from the Naughty and Nice elves. Everyone's favorite power couple was finally in tune with each other again.

"Things had definitely changed around here." Bernard commented once he and his wife were alone in the hall together.

"You mean the fact that Jack Frost almost burned down the pole about three times today or..." Jess let her sentence trail off. She cast her eyes down to a list in her hand of all the things still left to be done.

"You know what I mean." Bernard said. "You've changed."

"Maybe." She nodded, looking back up at him. "I've just been trying to keep things together. Keep everything running. That's what I thought you would have wanted." Jess had to crane her neck, but she just managed to sneak a kiss onto Bernard's cheek, taking him by surprise.

"Sleigh bells, I really missed you." He beamed.

"The feeling is mutual, but we've gotta hurry up. We'll have time to catch up later. Kitchen's next on the list. Actually here." Jess handed of the list to her husband. "You can be my number two for the rest of the night."

"Wait...doesn't that make me the number three?" He called after her as she walked down the hall.

"Judy?" Bernard called into the kitchen as he and Jess entered. "Status Report." Jess was smirking beside him. She'd really missed his to-the-point attitude and love of efficiency. She'd really missed him.

"Not that much has changed since you left, Curtis." Judy answered with her back to the door. She was working with her team to clean up the foam left behind from the fire elves earlier. They needed to clean and sanitize the ovens before they would be safe to cook in again. "I'm magical, but I'm not a miracle worker..." Judy turned around to continue lecturing Curtis, but her jaw hung open slightly when she laid eyes on Bernard. "oh."

"It's good to see you again, Judy." Bernard offered up a proud smirk to the kitchen elf. He was glad to see that not quite everything had changed at the North Pole. Judy was exactly how he remembered her.

"You're you again, huh?" Judy asked, tilting her head slightly.

"How did you know?" Jess asked, amazed. So far Judy was the first person outside of the family to recognize Bernard right off the bat.

"I don't know." Judy shrugged. "I just...knew. I've missed you." Judy forced a mug of cocoa into her former boss' hands, which he accepted gladly. "Did Jess tell you about the fire?"

"Yes." Bernard nodded. "We were wondering how much longer the clean up is going to take. We'll want dinner served on time if possible. You know how important it is that the elves are served dinner while Santa is delivering..."

"Because if they're not then it throws off the whole Christmas schedule. Yes, I know." Judy nodded. "We're working on it, but I could really use some help."

"Okay. Quintin should be just about done with his projects for the year, I could have him divert some of him team to help with the clean-up. Would that help you get back on track?" Jess asked.

"That just might do it." Judy agreed before handing Jess her own mug of cocoa.

"Then I will have them sent right over. Judy...where are my kids?" Jess questioned, looking around the dismantled kitchen.

"Oh, Lucy's watching them." Judy explained before turning back to her work.

"Lucy your eight-year-old sister?" Bernard whispered to his wife. His voice only raised one or two octaves. Jess took this as a good sign.

"Relax. She saved Christmas this year, so I'm sure she can handle a couple of two years olds. Plus I'm pretty sure she's with mom and Neil now anyway." Jess shrugged.

"Pretty sure?" Bernard repeated, following her back to the main workshop. "How sure is pretty sure?"

"So," Curtis approached them, looking calm for the first time all winter. "How did it go?"

"Fixed the Naughty and Nice Machine." Jess told him proudly. "Checked on Judy. She said she can get dinner on schedule as long as we can divert some of Q's team to help her out."

"Of course." Curtis nodded. "Anything she needs. We got the assembly line back up, and they're finishing the final touched on the last of the toys. All that's left is it get the reindeer and the sleigh ready."

"Okay." Jess smiled. "So let's..." But as she was about to suggest getting the reindeer hitched up to the sleigh, her father and Charlie came running out into the main workshop.

"The baby's coming!" Charlie called down excitedly.

"Baby?" Bernard repeated, confused.

"Carol and Dad are having a baby." Jess whispered to him before yelling back up to her dad. "Go! You don't want to miss it." Scott and Charlie both raced down the stairs. Scott hadn't missed his first two kids being born and he definitely wasn't going to miss this one. Charlie came to join Jess, Bernard and Curtis.

"Are you wearing a suit?" His sister noticed his changed of appeal immediately.

"That's not just any suit." Bernard said with a groan. He recognized the pinstripe suit immediately. "Charlie, you didn't!"

"It's only temporary." Charlie rushed to explain. "The old Jack is just suspended for no more than five years."

"Are you sure you want that responsibility?" Curtis asked.

"It's a little too late now if I don't isn't it?" Charlie offered everyone a toothy grin. "It'll be fine. I'll do the job right and I promise not to go all frozen dinner on everyone. Now everyone doesn't have to worry about me all the time."

"We'll still worry about you, Charlie." Bernard argued.

"Yeah, well same to you." Charlie clapped his brother-in-law on the shoulder. "It's nice to have you back. You guys mind if Bernard and I go get the sleigh ready?" Charlie asked Curtis and his sister. "It would be just like when we were younger."

"When were younger." Bernard chuckled.

"Hey man I'm taller than you now." Charlie joked. "Also, guess who just got some ice powers?"

"Ah, but you don't want to use those on me. Remember, I have an in with the Naughty and Nice list team." Bernard winked. The banter between the two continued as they walked off towards the stables.