9. Can't Get You Off My Mind

Grace's POV

Smiling at my phone, I thought to myself how much Nicholas and I have been messaging to each other. We seem to have never ending conversations, topics about anything and everything in the world. One thing that I like about our conversation is that I didn't have to think twice before replying, everything is so simple and lighthearted. You know sometimes, when you have to think so carefully about how to phrase words in a way that it doesn't offend the other person, that it takes away the joy of communicating? With Nic, he seems to understand everything as though we are really on the same frequency.

I always fall head over heels for someone very quickly, which it ends up hurting myself in the end. This time, with Nic, I want to take it slowly so that I wouldn't experience heartaches again. Although I think that he feels the same about me, I do not want to assume too much.

Sitting down at my home desk, I decided to start working on my assignment and not think about Nic for awhile.

As I am closing the multiple tabs on my laptop's window, ready to retire for the night, my phone starts vibrating. The screen lights up, signaling that Nicholas is calling. My heart started thumping loudly, getting overly excited at the fact that he is calling. Taking a deep breath to  calm my heart down, I swipe the green button on my phone to answer. There we go.

"Hello," I said, noticing that my voice is shaking, almost coming out as a squeak.

"Hi," he replied. His low, comforting voice that greeted me, has instead sent bursts of tingling sensations through me. Gosh, you need to calm down, girl!

"What are you doing?"

"Um, talking to you?" I joked.

A string of melodious laugh rang through the line, sending another wave of butterflies to my stomach. Oh, how can his laughter sound so beautiful? I sound like a pervert, but it really does sound so nice.

"You know what I'm doing now?" he asked.

"Studying?" I guessed.

"Thinking of you."

Oh. My. God. I need a moment right now. TO FAN GIRL. I feel blood rushing up to my face, and unknowingly my palms cup my cheeks and I realise how warm my face has become. 

"You there?" he asked. It took me a moment to get back to my senses and I stuttered "Yeah, yeah. I'm here."

"Let me guess. You are blushing right now, aren't you?" I could hear the amusement and tease in his voice. Biting my cheek, not wanting to admit and not knowing how to reply to this, I kept quiet.

"It's true. I'm not kidding," he said, as if sensing that I didn't know what to reply. He continued in a breathy voice, "I can't get you off my mind ever since I met you again." This guy is not helping at all! My heart is beating at an unbelievable rate that it is about to thud out of my body right now.

"Haha, you're such a flirt! Bet you said that to many girls before. Anyway, do you know of a singer called Shawn Mendes? He has this song which has the lyrics "can't get you off my mind". I can't remember its title suddenly. Erm what was that song? I think it's --". Before I can continue my rambling, he interrupted. 

"Gosh, Grace, you're really cute when you're flustered. You don't know how much I would give to see your expression right now." As if seeing that my heart is tortured enough for a night, he decided to change the topic, but honestly, I wouldn't mind this kind of sweet, blissful torture.

We continued talking on the phone for hours, until our eyelids start to get heavier with each second passing. We bid each other goodbye before hanging up. As I lie on my bed with my eyelids drooping off, my heart still thumps with excitement. My heart also seems to can't get Nic off its own mind.

That night, I fell asleep with a smile on my face.