21. On the Verge

Nic's POV

I see her run down the stairs. Should I run after her? Perhaps I should give her some space, since we both aren't in the right mood to hold a conversation, we'll probably just end up arguing again. 

I take in a deep breath and collect my thoughts. I need to talk to Janice and settle all the misunderstandings before going to Grace. I unlock my phone and type in a message to Janice, asking her to come out to talk, but the message did not go through? Weird. I start to troubleshoot my phone and realise that the airplane mode is switched on. I don't think I will accidentally press on it, so why is it switched on?

Whatever, I need to talk to Janice now. A few moments after the message is delivered successfully, Janice appears through the doors. The moment she catches sight of me, she avoids eye contact with me. She stands there, fiddling with the hem of her short dress. Then, I march towards her and speak, "What was going on just now?" 

She remains silent.

I sigh and try again in a firmer tone, "Janice. Why did you kiss me?" 

"Isn't it obvious?" she mumbled.

"Just explain."

"I like you! Hasn't it been clear enough for you? Do I have to kiss you again?" she retorted.

"You know I have a girlfriend!"

"Yes, I know you have a girlfriend, but she isn't right for you! I'm your perfect match. We are equally smart and good-looking, and we are both going to be doctors, while she's just going to be a nurse!"

"I don't need someone else to tell me whether she's right for me, because I know she is. I love her and that's sufficient. She is perfect for me," I snapped at her.

"You're so blind! I have loved you since the day I met you and yet you fall head over heels for a girl whom you have just met 3 months ago. I love you more than she can ever do."

"Again, Janice, I don't need you, or even anyone, to tell me whom I should be liking and how much she will love me. If you can't accept who I like and respect her, then I'm afraid we can't be friends anymore."

I continued, "And I do know you have feelings for me, but all I have ever treated you is just as my best friend, nothing more. Now we can't even be that anymore, you've crossed the line and because of your so-called love, I'm on the verge of losing someone I truly love. Goodbye, Janice."

With that, I walk away, not wanting to be in the same space as her any longer.

When I reach home, my mum's voice greets me, "Hey Nic, how's your day?"

"It's okay," I replied as I join her in the kitchen, where she was preparing ingredients for dinner. 

"That's great. When are you gonna bring your girl over for dinner? I have been waiting so long ever since you told me about her."

I sigh, not knowing what to reply her. 

"Someday, Mum. I'm gonna go out for a run," I said as I put down the empty drinking glass on the counter.

"Ok! Be back in time for dinner!"

I nod in response, before grabbing my bag and heading up to my room. I quickly change into my exercise attire and head out of the house. I need some space to decipher all the events that happened today.

How did today end up like that? As I am running, a thought suddenly strikes my mind. Why did Grace come to the library? She came to our spot, with a small handbag, so it means that she didn't go there to study. She was going to meet someone. At our spot. This is so puzzling. I just can't link anything, I need some answers from Grace to understand it.