15. First Date

Since young, I have always thought that first date is something romantic, sweet and magical. Something that I have been dreaming of for a long time, and now, here I am on my very first date! 

Nic won't tell me where we are going, even though I have been pestering him to tell me - pleading, acting cute and whining all didn't work. He guides me into the lift, with me pouting slightly at the back.

He turns over and laughs at my pouting expression. 

"No, it's meant to be a surprise! I can't tell you," he said before I could even open my mouth to ask him for the hundredth time. This guy is so stubborn!

He then presses the lift button. We are going to the basement carpark? I look at him puzzled, but before I can ask anymore question, we have reached the carpark. Let's see where he is bringing me. We passed by many different cars until he slows down, and fishes out a car key from his pocket.

"Beep-beep!" the unlocking sound of the car resounded throughout the quiet basement. The orange lights of a black BMW SUV flashed a few times.

"You have a car? You can drive?" I asked, shocked. 

"It's our first date after all! I don't want you hurting your leg in these shoes," he replied and opens the passenger seat door, gesturing for me to enter.

"And yes, I can drive. Don't worry, I'll bring you back in a piece," he joked, when he saw me frozen in my spot, trying to wrap my head around this. He owns a BMW? He must be pretty rich, huh?

I slip myself into the smooth, brown leather chair, he then closes the car door and jogs over to the driver seat. I reach for the safety belt and buckle myself in. 

"Hey, I was gonna do that for you!" he whined.

"I can do this by myself, I'm not a three-year-old kid," I rolled my eyes. 

"I know! But this is our first date, and it's supposed to be romantic. Don't all girls like that kind of scene when the guy helps the girl to buckle her seat belt and that moment when time seems to stop, and both of them stare into each others' eyes?"

"I didn't know you watch those romantic dramas," I exclaimed, in shock that he knows these scenes so well.

"I did not say that."

"Then how would you know these drama scenes so well?"

"You don't have to watch the cheesy dramas to know that."

"Don't lie!" I punch his shoulder lightly.

"There's a lot of things about me for you to spend the rest of your life to find out," he winked.

Our banter continued on as Nic drove us to our first date destination. Throughout this drive, I find myself smiling, even though we seem like we're arguing, but our conversation seems so cute, making me like him more with every passing second.

The car slows down to a stop, in front of a quiet, vintage looking cafe, that is illuminated with warm lights. Nic exits the car, not before asking me to wait for him to open the door. He reaches my side and holds out a hand for me. His hands grabs mine, helping me get down from the car steadily.

I look up at him to say thank you, which he returns with a warm smile.

He holds the cafe door for me, waiting for me enter first. I couldn't help but blush at his gentleman gestures. How did I find this guy? A gentleman is my weak spot.

The waiter quickly shows us to a table tucked at the corner. As I settle down in my seat, I take in the surroundings of this cafe. The cafe is enclosed with smooth, unpolished wooden planks, decorated with ferns and dried flowers hanging down from the ceiling, giving the entire place a woody, floral scent. The soft warm light from the hanging light bulbs and the soft piano background tune set the romantic, cozy ambience.

The waiter took our orders and left politely.

"This place is magical," I whispered, as if afraid that my voice will ruin the peaceful feel. 

"Glad that I picked a place that you like," Nic smiled warmly.

"I'm amazed that no one's here, it's so nice here, I'm sure couples would flock to this place for dates."

"Well, not if I booked the entire cafe."

WHAT.

I looked at Nic in disbelief, not believing his words.

"Before you can say I'm insane and ask how much I spent on this, I did not spend a single cent to book this."

"Then?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

"My best friend's father owns this cafe and my best friend agreed to let me have this entire cafe to ourselves, knowing that I'm going on my first date with a girl I'm crazy about. BUT not without any strings attached, that annoying guy asked me for my notes in exchange."

"Okay, I'm glad you didn't spend a fortune on this."

"Hey, if I had to spend money to see how your face brightens up in wonderment, I would. Anytime. Anything for you," he said, looking into my eyes. 

"You only say that," I can't help but smile and shake my head at his sweet, flirty words.

"I mean it! Only for you," he argued, looking seriously.

The waiter brings our food, disrupting our another banter. I guess this is part of couple things?

As I'm about to pick up my cutlery, Nic reaches for my plate.

"What are you doing?" I asked, puzzled.

He then cuts up the meat for me, and returns my plate, smiling at me.

"Thank you," I squeaked meekly, trying to prevent my blush from appearing again. 

"I know I have said this many times, but your blush is so cute. And expect more of this," he smirked playfully, trying to act all suave. 

"Way to spoil the moment, Nicholas," I rolled my eyes, before we both burst into laughter.

I wouldn't have my first date any other way.