19. The Storm

Janice's POV

Why is she here?  The group cheers and claps as Nic leaves the room. I watch silently as Nic smiles at her and holds her hand, guiding her somewhere. Where are they going?

"I'll go to the washroom for awhile," I said as I excuse myself. I quickly get up from my seat and follow Nic. After awhile, they finally stop. I hide a few bookshelves away, peeking through the gap between each shelf. With a little strain, I manage to hear their conversation as the library is so quiet.

"I love you" he said. My world stops. How I wish the library isn't that quiet, then I wouldn't have to hear this. He confesses, she is happy, he is happy. And me? My heart wrenches in so much pain that it breaks into a thousand pieces. I can't stay here any longer, I can't hear this, it is too much to bear. As I am about to leave, the corner of my eye catches sight of Nic leaning down to kiss her. My fist clenches and I bite down hard on my bottom lip as I try to hold back my tears. 

I quickly walk to the toilet with my head bowed down, not wanting anyone to see my poor state. I swing open a cubicle and slam the door shut, before sitting down on the toilet cover. Finally.
The tears that I have been holding back finally let themselves out. I push my fist to my mouth, in hope of muffling the sound of my cries. This is too heartbreaking. Without thinking about whether others can hear me or not, I finally let my hand down and cry aloud. I can't hold back my sobs anymore.

After a few minutes of letting it all out, my head clears out. My feelings turn into anger and then determination.

I, Janice Gerber, am not a weak girl who cries over something. I will get what I want, no matter how.

The next day, during lesson, I see Nic smiling away, while texting on his phone. My blood boils. This is not the time to be angry and jealous, I scolded my heart. I decide to start on my plan.

I place my hand over my stomach and lean over the table, my face in grimace, pretending that I am in extreme pain. Nic still didn't look over.

"Nic...," I mumble in a weak voice, while gently nudging his arm. He looks over and his eyes widen in shock as he realises that he hasn't noticed my state. This finally draws his attention away from his phone. Worry replaces the smile on his face. Though I would have preferred him to be happy any other time, I would rather him be worried for me, knowing that I'm not the reason for his smile. 

"What's wrong? Are you okay, Janice?" Nic asked.

"I'm not feeling well, my stomach hurts so much," I said in a very weak voice.

"Let's get you to the clinic," he said hurriedly as he packs up our stuff and pulls me up gently by the arm.

"I feel dizzy," I lied as I stumble, almost losing my balance, before Nic catches me. He wraps an arm around me while carrying our bags. I look up at him, then he looks down at me, comforting me in a gentle voice, "You'll be alright." I nod meekly at him as I snuggle more in his embrace. Soon, I'll be in his warm embrace for my entire life.

We come out from the doctor's room, with Nic holding me securely in his arms.

"The doctor said you have gastric pain because you haven't been eating well and sleeping well. What's wrong, Janice? Are you in a lot of stress because of exams?" Nic asked.

Being a medical student, I know the symptoms well, so I can fake an illness perfectly. And gastric pain? The most common and easiest illness to fake. 

"Well, it's not just because of exams..." I replied. He looks at me, waiting for me to continue.

"I..." I pretend to hesitate, before mumbling, but still making sure he's able to hear, "If only you have paid more attention to your other friends."

"What?" he asked, before realising what I meant. "I'm sorry but really what happened to you?"

"My parents... They are quarrelling again, threatening to divorce and then move me away to England," I lied, well it isn't entirely false. My parents have always been quarrelling, and I don't really care about it since we aren't that close. I have spent most of my childhood alone as my parents are working long hours outside. But to the outside world and Nic, we are a happy family.

"Shit... I'm so sorry Janice. I didn't know all these happened to you. I'm such a bad and selfish friend," he blamed himself, scratching his head furiously.

"It's okay, Nic," I said, almost feeling sorry for lying to him, seeing how much he blames himself.

"No! It's not, you have been there beside me when I was down. And here I am not knowing you're going through a tough time."

"You just got together with Grace, it's understandable. And I haven't told you how happy I am for you right?" I lied through my teeth, forcing a sad smile.

"Ugh! I'm not good for you and here you are being happy for me when you're in such a bad state. I hate myself," he sighed. 

"What can I do to make you feel better?" he asked.

"Like I said, Nic, it's really fine. You should be spending your time with Grace."

"No, I'm gonna do my duties as your best friend and focus on you. I am going to cancel my date with Grace, hold on a while. And when I get back, tell me all the things you want to do," Nic ordered and walks away to make his call.

I grin to myself. Seems like this plan is working pretty well.

After that day, Nic seems to be spending most of his free time with me. We haven't hung out like this for a long time, and it feels like the old times. How much I've missed this. 

"Jan, it seems like you're in better mood," Nic commented.

"I am because of you," I replied, smiling.

"That's great to hear. Is it alright if I go out with Grace later? You should be alright with these right? It's almost all finished, just needs some tidying only."

The smile on my face drops. 

"Yeah sure. I can handle it."

"Great!" He quickly sends a message on his phone and returns his focus to the computer screen.

It is time for the next phase.