2. Can I Stay?

"Can I stay?" He repeated again, shooting an eye brow upwards.

"Er...er...Oh sure!" I stuttered. Gosh, what's wrong with me? Why am I stuttering?! Another fun fact about me - I don't know why but I always found myself stuttering slightly in front of guys, especially those that I'm attracted to.

"Erm, but you have to leave before 10 am because that's the opening hour of the playroom," I said sheepishly, running my hands through my hair, trying to ease my nervousness. 

"Oh... yeah alright," he replied back with a small smile. 

Should I ask why he's staying here and shouldn't he be following his senior doctor around now? What do I say now? My mental debate was interrupted by a yawn. He stretched both of his lean and long arms upwards, letting out a yawn. 

"Sorry but I'm really tired today. I had no idea why I woke up this early today, that's why I'm actually find ways to kill my time before my senior arrives." He grinned and added on "And I'm so glad that I actually woke up early because I got to make a new friend!".

Did he just call me a friend? Someone please save me! His smile is making the butterflies in my stomach go insane. I tried to mask my internal squealing with a small smile. The conversation continued on with how the playroom works and the interesting encounters with the kids we met in the hospital.

"So which year are you in?" I asked him, focusing my sight on the toys I was disinfecting, to prevent my nervousness from getting the best of me. 

"Oh I'm in Year 3 Medicine at SNU, just the building nearby" 

"Yeah I know haha. I'm actually studying at your school too," I added. " But I'm in nursing, year 2."

"Wow! I didn't know that." His eyes raked my body from top to bottom which caused me to stare at him quizzically. "You look like a nurse!" He exclaimed. 

Rolling my eyes jokingly, I replied " Yeah sure." We continued chatting without realising how the time had passed, until the playroom's door opened. We both glanced up at the clock hung on the wall.

"I guess it's time for you to leave. The playroom is opened already and kids are gonna stream in soon," I said. 

He picked up his bag and walked towards the door. I was about to say bye to him when he abruptly turned back and asked "Oh what's your name?". I didn't even realise that we hadn't got to know each other's name even after talking for a good 20 minutes. 

"I'm Grace." 

"And I'm Nicholas. It was nice talking to you."

Before I could add on "Hope to see you around in school", he cut in "Do you want to have lunch together?"

I blinked for a few times and the switch to my internal debate turns on again. Gosh I really have to stop this bad habit of mine, period. 

"Yeah sure!" I smiled meekly at him, not wanting to my excitement obvious.  

A unfamiliar voice interrupts "Hey Nic! Time to go! Dr. Lee is here already."

Nicholas yelled out, not very loudly though, "I'll see you later over here!" before getting pulled away by the stranger guy in scrubs too. 

I felt giddy from the joy bubbling in me, I touched my cheeks to feel that they are burning. Oh man, I'm blushing. I fanned my face, attempting to calm my emotions down, before a grin broke on my face. I shook my head and turned my attention to the kids that were entering the room.

As the clock hands started to tick near to 12, my eyes found themselves glancing at the glass door more frequently. The last kid left the playroom and I started to tidy up the room. My head snapped to the door every time someone passed by the door.

I glanced up at the clock which showed 12.30 pm. "He will be soon," I told myself. 

My patience started diminishing a little with every second passing. My tiredness and hunger took over me and I decided not to continue waiting for him. I picked myself up and trudged to the door, glancing at the clock which now showed 1.40 pm.