22. Unknown Guy

Nic's POV

I decide to go to Grace's house to meet her, since she doesn't pick my calls or respond to my messages. I pick up my car keys and drive to her house.

After 15 mins, I reach her apartment. I park my car and walk towards the lift lobby. As I'm walking pass the pool, a familiar happy laughter fills my ears. I turn towards it and see Grace, in a tiny black swimsuit, in the pool with a guy, who's just wearing his swim shorts. Grace is laughing happily as they are splashing water to each other. 

Who is that guy?

Is that why Grace hasn't been answering her phone? Because she's occupied with this guy? The green-eyed monster in me grows to life, my eyes blaze in fire as I march up towards them.

"Grace," I called out to her firmly and loud enough for them to hear amidst their playtime. 

She turns towards me first, and the guy then copies her actions. A look of shock is quickly replaced with a cold face. Without saying a word, she swims towards me and pushes herself out of the pool and walks pass me.

I turn towards the unknown guy, who has been staring at me, and then turn away to follow Grace.

Grace's POV

Flashback

I open the door and I'm so shocked to find the person waiting for me.
My childhood best friend stands in front of me, flashing me a big smile, he engulfs me in a hug.

"Gracey! I missed you so much!" Nate practically screamed in my ear. As much as I'm exhilarated to see him after so long, I don't want to go deaf, so I push him away. Unfortunately the little scrawny teen has grown into a buff man, so my push seems like a pat on him.

"Natella! You didn't even tell me you're coming back!" I teased him, knowing how much he dislikes his nickname that I bestowed him ten years ago. He rolls his eyes at me, which earns him a wide mischievous grin from me.

Oh, how much I've missed him. Ever since he migrated to Switzerland 5 years ago, we keep in touch almost everyday through texts and Skype. It's like he never left at all, but it's still so good to see him physically.

"Did you bring my Swiss chocolates and nougats?!" I asked him excitedly. He looks at me guiltily, pouting.
"WHAT. How could you not!!!" I glared at him.
"Hey, I'm here and that's the best gift right?"
"No!"
He rolls his eyes at me, before he reaches for a paper bag in his backpack.
"Here you go, you horrible woman," he grunted, while shoving the bag to me. My eyes brighten up upon seeing the bag filled with sweet treats.
I grin at Nate, "Thank Nate, you're the best! Love you!" I peck him on his cheek.

"Why are you blushing?" I teased him as soon as I see his cheeks turn rosy.
"I'm not! You made me stand outside under the heat for so long, that's why my cheeks are turning red," he argued, pushing past me into the house, as if he owns it.
Well, I will forgive him this time, since he brought me my favourite stuff.

After a while of hanging out, Nate suggests to go for a swim. I agreed, seeing how warm the weather is these days, it's nice to cool down in the pool.

Present time

Part of me wants to know what's on Nic's mind when he saw me with Nate, and another part just doesn't give a damn.

Anger washes through me as soon as I see Nic, the incident playing vividly in my mind. I thought I'm ready to talk to him, but now I know I'm not.

I walk towards the pool bench and grab my towel to dry myself. I sense Nic behind me. Nonchalantly, I spread the towel on the bench before lying down. Once I settle down and look up at him, he starts to talk.

"Who is he?"

"None of your business."

"Last time I checked, I'm your boyfriend."

"I thought you said that when there's no trust, there's no love? I don't think I have an obligation to tell you who I meet with."

"Grace, I'm not here to quarrel with you."

"Then?"

"We need to talk."

Before I can reply, Nate interrupts, "Hey, I'm Nate." He raises his hand, to offer a handshake. Nic turns towards him and eyes Nate's outstretched hand for awhile before shaking it. 

"I'm Nic," he said while looking at Nate straight in the eyes, and continues, "her boyfriend, and now would you please excuse us, we need some private time."

Nate looks at me, awaiting for my reply. I nod at him, signaling to him that it's alright. He nods back and leaves. I turn towards Nic to find him staring, with his "thinking" face. A thousand of questions must be running through his mind right now. I then gesture him to sit down on the empty bench beside me. Since it's a weekday morning, there's no one using the pool, a perfect place to talk.

I prop myself up to the sitting position, getting ready for the talk.

"So... Why haven't you been answering my texts or calls?" Nic asked.

"Cos I didn't want to, I needed some time to think," I replied truthfully.

"Okay, so are you ready to talk about it now?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"First of all, Grace, I need to apologise to you. I'm sorry for saying those words, it was out of anger, and I wasn't thinking straight at that time."

"It's true actually, the meaning of those words, I mean. I should have known you wouldn't do that when I know you love me. But the thing is..., after a day of thinking, I realised what I don't trust is... myself actually."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't really know, but there's this part of me who feels inferior to Janice, somehow I picture you and her together as the perfect couple, that one day she'll be the one next to you..., not me."

"Grace... What the hell are you talking about? There's no one else for me, except you. You hear me? Don't you dare feel inferior to anyone, you're you, and they are themselves. Don't you ever compare yourself against others."

"See, your love for me is strong, but the faith in myself isn't that strong. I think I need some time alone to discover myself, who I truly am."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, we need some time apart. I don't know for how long, but I need to find my self-worth, before I can truly stand before you and saying that I have trust in us."

"Grace, please... I can help you with that, don't go."

"I need this, Nic. But during the time we are apart, if you find someone else better, it's okay for you to leave. If fate wants us to be together, we'll somehow come back to each other."

"Are you breaking up with me?"

"Yes, we need a break."

"I can't believe this. After all I've said and tried to prove to you how much I love you, it still isn't sufficient for you to stay on."

"We will self-disrupt ourselves if this goes on, Nic..."

"Fine, I'll grant you this wish of yours. Goodbye Grace," he said, anger evident on his face. He turns and walks away.

A tear rolls down my face as I whisper "I love you, Nic..."