Part 11

It had been a whole week since you woke up in Shuri's lab, but the fifteen minutes it took her to perform the final analysis felt like it droned on forever.

In the days that passed Wanda had come by your room the most. She had changed, but then again, so had you. Her eyes bare a worry that never seemed to go away, no matter how much you reassured her. It wasn't her fault. But even still, every time she saw you she tiptoed, afraid she'd set you off at any moment. You were used to this coming from Steve, but a tiny part of you broke at the thought of Wanda fearing you. She had always accepted you, no questions asked...

Nat would usually come for dinner, giving you the full breakdown of the day. Since waking up and remembering everything it was hard to trust the people around you, but she made it a little easier. She assured you that Sam wasn't angry, and that he had recovered with very minor injuries. You were thankful she didn't bring up your other opponent.

Then there was the Captain himself. You haven't really seen Steve much, but you heard him through the walls of your room. He visited his friend every day. He never actually went into his room, however. He would only stand outside and apologize over and over for something you could never make out.

On the fourth day, he spoke to you. You were half asleep, it was probably sometime past midnight when you heard his voice.

"No! Please NO!," His voice woke you from your sleepy daze. "Y/n, please. I'm so sorry. I didn't know. I- I'm so sorry, I never..." The sound of your name on his lips caused a shiver to rush down your spine. His words came out breathy as he choked on a sob. It was clear to you he was having a nightmare. There was a part of you, albeit small, that wanted nothing more than to rush to him, and sooth his fears. But you didn't. You just listened while he screamed for you, unmoving. That's what he deserves, you thought, but you didn't believe it. Not fully.

"Okay, lets go over this again. What's your name?" Shuri rolled across the room on her chair scribbling something down on a tablet. You rolled your eyes, this had to be the fifth time she had asked you.

"Y/n L/n. Born in Philadelphia. Joined S.H.I.E.L.D after my family died in a fire. Moved to Jersey to be closer to work, met Agent Beson, got engaged, and then The Winter Soldier killed him... Did I miss anything?" You rattled off. Shuri only nodded, writing something down you couldn't see.

"You developed a super soldier serum that could absorb the powers of your opponent." Shuri 'reminded' you.

"Right, how could I forget what got me into this shit show in the first place." You scoffed.

"And you remember how you made it?" She asked.

"Yes... No... Maybe? I think with some time I could recreate it, but I'd need to run a few tests, get the ingredients at the corner store. The serum was created for me and me alone. In case it got into the wrong hands, I didn't want anyone else to be able to use it." You shuttered at the memory burned into your mind. The wet cement room Hydra had locked you in for days, torturing you for answers you wouldn't dare give. "It's flawed, obviously. It was never ready to be used. We were trying something new. I was never the best candidate for the serum, as it amplifies what's already within and in my case, was pretty fucked up already... Not to mention the nasty side effects."

"And what would those be?" The small scientist spoke, now on the other side of the room pulling up a hologram of Dr. Erskine's original serum from World War II.

"Psychosis mostly. But there was a chance it would enhance trauma or cause permanent brain damage... You know, the good stuff." You chuckled but Shuri didn't look quite as enthused. "Look, I didn't say the serum was perfect. It was my first draft."