Part 20 - The End

He did it...

He actually did it... I mean, you did your fair share, tweaking the 'time machine'. You still had very little understanding of how the thing worked, but break it down and it was a simple switch board. You'd worked on hundreds of those before, however, give credit where credit is due, as much as it pained you to say, he actually did it.

Hours turned to days, but you finally located each stone. Six stones, three teams, one shot. This was it, your second chance.

The whole team stood in a small circle around the jump off point. The plan, in theory, was simple. Scott, Steve, Stark and you would travel back to 2012, to the first battle of new york. You were surveillance and comms. Your face wouldn't have popped up in the old Avengers tower then, so it was better for you to stay off grid somewhere no one could spot you.

"Five years ago, we lost." Steve spoke. His eyes falling on you. You nodded your head, worrying in your bottom lip.

"We won't lose this time. For Shuri, and Wanda and Sam and..." You trailed off, voice unable to speak his name out loud. You couldn't remember the last time you had uttered the sound. It felt forign on your lips now.

"For Bucky." Nat reassured beside you, her hand coming down to hold yours. The gesture sent you back, like time travel itself. This was going to work. It had to.

"This is the fight of our lives, and we're going to win. Whatever it takes" Steve finished.

"Did you practice that?" Sarcasm dripped from your lips as you spoke. Steve only grinned in response, sending a wink your way. The mission wasn't even a success yet, and you could already feel the hope bubbling around the room.

"Whatever it takes." You and Nat repeated.

This was going to work. It had to.

...............................................................................................................................

When you opened your eyes, you were back. The team gathered around, stones in hand and smiles on their faces.

"Did it work?" You asked breathlessly.

"It worked." Nat's voice bubbled into laughter beside you. Before you could stop yourself, you threw your arms around her, pulling her into your embrace. You could feel the tears that threatened the corner of your eyes as she hugged you back.

"We're going to bring him back." You half sobbed.

"All of them. Were going to get em' all back." Steve spoke, placing a hand on your back. You pulled away from Nat, a smile pulling at your lips as her small hands wiped away the tears that had begun to roll down your cheeks.

"Let's do this."

...................................................................................................................

"You could not live with your own failure, where did that bring you? Back to me." Thanos spoke, his voice menacing and vile. The mere sight of him after all these years was enough to make you nauseous. You wanted nothing more than to blast him into next week, but when you looked down at your trembling fists, you were reminded just how powerless you truly were.

"Let's kill him properly this time." Thor spoke next to you. You smirked at the suggestion, imagining just how many ways his head would roll off his shoulders when Thor's axe tore through the giant's skin.

"Couldn't agree more." You grumbled, rolling up your sleeves and pulling your gun from its holster. Your whole body screamed in pain, bruises beginning to blossom over your ribs as mud and dirt caked your face.