ELEVEN.

"Look at you! You're glowing!"

Mama is always the first to greet me when I come home. She always has a plate of my favorite cookies and a hug waiting for me. Full of warmth and love, she is. I love that most about her.

She smells like a bakery and fresh flowers all wrapped up in one. I wish I could see her more.

"Hi, Mama." I sheepishly grin, letting myself fall into her arms.

"My sweet Honey, I've missed you so much."

"I missed you too." I lean into her kiss.

Don't judge.

She's my only soft spot.

"Veronica! Come say hello to Monroe! She's home!"

Out comes Mom, pulling out her earbuds as she emerges from her office. A wide smile spreads across her face.

"Hi, Ro Ro." She greets, throwing her arms around me with ease.

"Hey, Mom."

"Are you hungry? Tired? Wanna nap?" Mama urges, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm okay, Maeve packed me snacks and I slept on the plane."

"Maeve?" Mama's face lights up. "I love that girl. She's so precious."

"Yeah," Mom agrees. "I always thought you clicked with her more than the other girl."

I can't help but let out an obnoxious laugh.

"Me and Maeve? God, no. We'd kill each other."

"Maybe sometimes that's a good thing. While you and Talia had that sort of cold and warm contrast, you and Maeve are more of the same tone. She'll fight back, unlike Talia. As much as I loved her, she was a little too reserved. Always made us feel like she wanted nothing to do with us at family events." Mama elaborates.

"You guys met Maeve once and you're spitting all of this at me?"

"Sometimes that's all it takes to figure someone out." Mom shrugs.

"You guys are ridiculous." I mutter.

"I mean hey," Mom nudges me. "You're single now."

"She's been here about two minutes and you guys are already busting in on her love life. Foul, if you ask me."

Standing at the end of the staircase is Elliot, a wide smile spread across his face. Behind him is a girl, who is most definitely his newest girlfriend, but possibly not because holy shit she is stunning.

"What are you doing mooching off them? That's my role in this family." I say as he walks over to me.

Elliot hugs me and presses a kiss to the top of my head. I don't respond, and he understands knowing damn well physical affection isn't my thing.

Well, any sort of affection really.

"Had someone I needed to show off." He grins, turning toward the woman behind him.

Okay, so that is the new girl.

All I wanna know is, how?

"Monroe, right?" She steps forward, reaching out to shake my hand.

"Uh, yeah. That's me." I shake her hand in return.

"Elliot's spoken very highly of you. I'm Adrienne."

"And so...you're...you're like....his girlfriend?"

"Yup."

Elliot narrows his eyes at me.