TWENTY-THREE.

*This chapter contains content that may be triggering to some*

"Monroe? Soren?"

Mama walks into the living room where Soren and I are sitting.

"Yeah?" We both answer.

I sit up a little, attempting to sober up a bit.

"Can we talk?"

Soren and I glance at each other before turning back to Mama and nodding.

"So," She says as she sits down on the couch across from us. "There is currently one hundred dollars missing from my purse. Now, I know Mom would inform me if she were to take anything, so I would like to know who did."

Soren's eyes automatically fall onto me. I don't move. I don't speak. I simply shrug and lean back.

"Wasn't me."

"Soren?"

"Mama, come on! You know I wouldn't do that."

"One of you did. I would really appreciate if that person would just come forward. There will be no consequence. I just wanna know why."

"Can't have a reason if I didn't do it to begin with," I reply. "Also, I'm pretty sure Soren was on the phone the other night talking to a friend about doing something like this."

"What?! I didn't! I swear!"

"Monroe, are you lying?"

"Nope."

"Yes, she is! I didn't do it, I swear."

Mama turns to me.

"You're looking at the wrong person." I shrug.

"Monroe, I would really appreciate if you would just cooperate with me."

I'm too high for this shit.

"I am cooperating. I didn't take your fucking money."

"Whoa! There is no reason to be speaking to me like that."

"Then don't accuse me of shit I didn't do."

I get up and go upstairs. Another minute down there and I'd probably put my hands on someone in that room.

I pull out another bar and place a napkin over it. Using a random glass statue on my desk, I crush it up and divide it all into a couple lines with my pocketknife.

Thanks, Mama.

As I'm on the last line, my door opens, revealing Soren.

"I knew it." He says.

"Do you ever fucking knock?" I snap.

He shuts the door and presses his back to it.

"I knew you took her money. All to blow it up your nose. And blame me for it. I'm going to tell them, Monroe. It's gotten too far."

Now, I wouldn't have done this any other day. But, I have bars, Nyquill, and a little bit of alcohol running through my system right now. So I got a little too ahead of myself.

Next thing, I'm pinning Soren to the door, my pocketknife to his throat.

His eyes are practically popping out of his skull as his breathing becomes erratic due to fear. He looks at me, several levels of horror written across his face.