8

The next few days went perfectly. Winter could finally swim by herself, meaning I could actually get some sleep. Sawyer, Rosie, and Hazel did manage to cover the whole kitchen in a milk and fish smoothie which I had to clean up with Phoebe, but Sawyer made up for it by bring a huge bin of toys for Winter. I helped Phoebe train the other dolphins and I also helped Clay with some surgeries.

But then we found out about Sawyer's cousin Kyle. He was in the army and had been hurt in an explosion. Clay and I found Sawyer with Rosie and Hazel at the Haskett's floating house. Sawyer seemed to be building a helicopter.

"What you working on?" Clay asked Sawyer.

"Sawyer made it," Hazel answered.

"Cool, isn't it?" Rosie smiled.

"Yeah," I said sadly.

"It's really cool."

Sawyer didn't say anything. I nudged Clay, gesturing to Sawyer.

"He doesn't have a dad," I whispered in Clay's ear.

"You're as close to one as he can get."

His eyes widened, but he listened to me and sat in the chair across from Sawyer.

"I heard about your Cousin," Clay murmured. Sawyer looked up for a second before he turned back to his work.

"The good news is he's alive," Clay said gently.

"That's what matters, right?"

Sawyer nodded.

"Yeah."

"Hey," I said, ruffling Rosie's hair.

"We need a little help on the night shift tonight."

"Help keep an eye on Winter for me," Clay agreed. A look of hope flashed across Sawyer's face.

"Really?"

He looked at Rosie and Hazel who both nodded.

"Sure. That'd be great."

Later that afternoon, I climbed up to Hazel's favorite spot to watch the sun set. Then I got the phone call that changed everything.

"Hello? This is Cameron Shin of Clearwater Marine Aquarium. How can I help you?"

"Hello Ms. Shin. You've submitted an application for Monterey Bay Aquarium a few months ago. We've reviewed your application and we think you would be a wonderful addition to our team. Welcome to Monterey Bay Aquarium! We'll be in touch with more information."

I put a hand to my mouth.

"Thank you, have a good day," I said, my voice shaky.

"Good day to you, Ms. Shin."

I hung up the phone and ran my hand down my face. On one side, I was overjoyed that I had been accepted into one of the largest aquariums in the world, even after I thought I had been rejected. But on the other side, how could I leave Florida and CMA to move across the country? And how could I tell Clay I even applied for a new job?