18

"Ok, you're going to help me with the baking and food committee," Hazel called out to a staff member. I smiled happily as the room bustled with activity in an adrenaline spiked attempt to save Winter and CMA. 

"Brittany, I need you on the decorations committee," Rosie beamed, helping Hazel mark things down on a clipboard. I kissed Clay on the cheek as he walked by, on the phone with Gloria. 

"Cammie! No kissing my dad! It's disgusting!" Hazel cried out, making everyone laugh. 

"Weren't you the one who wanted us to get together?"

"Yeah, but without all the mushy stuff!" 

"Fine, fine."

The next few days were hectic. I called Dr. McCarthy and asked him to work on the prototype for tail, Clay asked Gloria to stall Hordern, the kids set up a website and webcams for Winter, Phoebe trained the dolphins, and everyone else put their work into the fundraiser. But it was amazing, Kyle managed to get a story about Winter onto the news and it made people more captivated with her story. I watched the whole thing with Clay, Phoebe, and the rest of the staff.  Before I knew it, the day before the fundraiser had arrived and Dr. McCarthy had brought Winter's new tail.

"Oh, it's beautiful!" Hazel breathed.

"Yeah," the Dr. agreed.

"The joints are a little more flexible, so it should feel more natural."

My hands trembled as I held the tail up to Winter so she could see what it was. She trilled happily.

"Ok, take this, Phoebe," I said, handing it to her.

"Let's do this."

I watched nervously as Clay and Phoebe strapped it onto her. 

"You can do it, Winter!" I said encouragingly.

"Up and down. Up and down. Good girl!" I smiled as Winter followed my instruction.

"Up and down, Winter. Up and down."

Winter trilled again.

"You ready?" I asked.

"All right. Let's do this, Winter." 

We pushed her forward, letting her swim away.

"Oh, looky there!" the Dr. said, seeing Winter swimming the right way! But it all changed. Winter started thrashing agitatedly.

"Winter," I said, my voice uneasy. She started shrieking and banging her tail on the edge of the pool.

"WINTER STOP!"

I covered my mouth as the tail drifted to the floor. We failed.

I walked aimlessly around CMA, not knowing what to do. Then, Sawyer decided to crash into me.

"OUCH!" we both exclaimed, lying on the floor, laughing.

"Cameron, I know the problem!" he said breathlessly. I frowned. 

"The problem to what?"

"Winter! The problem isn't the tail, it's the sock!"

I let the words sink in.

"We have to go tell Clay!" I breathed.