10

I ran back to Clearwater. When I got to the pool, expecting everyone to be asleep, I found Sawyer in the pool with Winter. I quickly wiped my tears away.

"Sawyer, you shouldn't be in there," I called out. Sawyer looked up at me.

"I'm sorry Cameron- wait, are you crying?"

I looked away.

"No, everything's fine."

Sawyer nodded and came up to the side of the pool.

"But are you sure everything is ok?"

I nodded.

"Look, can you tell Rosie I had to go back home? I'm sure she'll be fine by herself."

"Sure."

I packed up my belongings, said bye to Sawyer and Winter, kissed Rosie on the forehead, and made my way to the parking lot. The sad sound of a saxophone hummed in the air as I got into my car and drove back home. Once I walked inside the house, I saw Phoebe, about to go to bed.

"Cameron? What are you doing here? I thought you were on nightshift."

I told her everything from the job application to the kiss. At the end of it, Phoebe sighed.

"I think you should take the job like Clay said. That is literally a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. And about Clay...."

I shook my head.

"I can't, Phoebe.... I was friends with Lydia... I feel like I betrayed her."

"But you did say Clay kissed you, right? You didn't kiss him first."

I stayed quiet.

"Look, you sacrifice so much. So does Clay. Maybe you both deserve something? I don't know, that sounded dramatic, like something out of movie or something." Phoebe laughed. I sighed.

"But if I take the job...."

Phoebe shrugged.

"That choice is yours. But I'll always be your best friend, regardless of what happens."

I tackled Phoebe with a hug.

"Thank you."

She hugged me back.

"Anytime, Cam. Now let me sleep!"