16

"We found homes for all the fish and the animals," Gloria, a board member told us as Clay and I scrubbed out an exhibit.

"Including Winter?" Clay asked. Gloria sighed.

"Clay, the plain truth is no one wants an animal with her disability. No dolphin has been known to lose it's entire tail and survive. Every aquarium in the country says it's hopeless."

"Well, they obviously haven't met Winter," I replied.

"Listen, Dr. McCarthy is looking into some new materials, right?" Clay said, getting out of the pool.

"He says he can have a new tail by-"

"What if she rejects that one too?" Gloria interrupted as Clay hoisted me up and out of the exhibit.

"She won't," I sighed.

"Two weeks. Just give me two weeks," clay pleaded.

"I can't!" Gloria exclaimed.

"There is no money. We have to start thinking about putting Winter down. It's the kindest thing we can do."

"Clay... what are you thinking?" I asked as I saw his facial expression.

"You seriously aren't...."

"No!" Rosie and Hazel cried as Sawyer stood by, equally upset as Clay told them what had to happen. I glared at him too, enraged that he was even thinking of killing an innocent animal.

"I don't have a choice!" Clay replied.

"Of course you do!" I snapped, putting my arms around the kids. Sawyer nodded.

"Dr. McCarthy said we only need-"

"Dr. McCarthy stopped working," Clay interrupted.

"I asked him to." 

"What the hell? Why?!" I demanded. He sighed and sat down at the edge of a table.

"Come here," he told the kids and they slowly walked forward. I stood back, still angry.

"I'm out of time." Clay murmured.

"I'm out of money. I have to close down."

I felt tears streaming down my face. I couldn't believe it. This hectic, hard, pain in the ass, but beautiful and amazing place called CMA which had been the one constant thing in my life was going to be taken away from me. And I had nobody to blame it on.

"Dad, how could you let this happen?" Hazel choked out.

"I don't keep secrets from you, Hazel, I never have. I'm telling you kids this because I think... because I think it's time you start saying your last goodbyes.

"I can't believe this, Mr. Haskett,"  Rosie sobbed, running away, Hazel and Sawyer not far behind. I wiped the tears off my face.

"Clay, I thought things were going to be ok," 

I felt gentle arms around me.

"Cameron, even if CMA is being taken from us, I will never let you go. Not Hazel. Not Rosie. Not Phoebe. Not Sawyer."

"But Winter...."

I looked up at Clay's pained face, putting my hand on his cheek.

"I know what I said before...." I murmured quietly.

"And I don't even know if this is the appropriate time... it probably isn't, but... I-I really want to kiss you right now." 

And his lips were on mine, moving gently and softly. I pulled him closer, forgetting about what it felt like to breathe. I pulled back, resting my forehead on his.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. 

"I don't know what to do since I'll be moving to California soon and with all of this-" 

Clay pecked me on the lips again.

"You have nothing to apologize for and we'll figure out your new job at a later date. Let's head over to my house. I have a feeling that the kids might need us right now."

I nodded and we walked together, hand in hand.