22

The next day, I decided it was time to tell everyone about my new job. Rosie (who Mr. Doyle had said she could get credit for summer school!), Hazel, Sawyer, Reed, everyone. Clay called a meeting with every staff member required to attend. I hugged him tightly as he kissed my head.

"I'm scared," I whispered.

"You're Cameron. You're one of the strongest people I know."

I planted a gentle kiss on his lips.

"Let's face the crowd."

I walked into the packed meeting room, smiling sadly at everyone.

"Hey everyone, I'm-  never mind, you guys all know me." I said, making everyone chuckle.

"So many things have changed. Winter has come into our lives, we met Sawyer, Rosie is now being homeschooled, I-I'm dating Clay, and CMA is saved. However, there is one more thing."

I glanced at Phoebe and Clay who nodded.

"I.. I got a job at Monterey Bay Aquarium."

Some people smiled with congratulations, but Rosie, Hazel, and Sawyer looked horrified. Rosie stood up abruptly.

"Are you talking about the aquarium in California?! You didn't accept the job, did you?"

"Rosie, I accepted the job, and yes, it's in California."

Rosie sat back down, stunned as Hazel and Sawyer shook her. I knelt in front of her.

"Rosie, I'm not going to force you to come with me unless you really want to. Phoebe offered to take care of you while I'm away. Clay will obviously be there for you too."

"And how long will you be away?" Rosie snapped.

"Undetermined. However long they want to keep me or however long I want to stay."

 Aware of everyone in the room staring at us, I stood up, forcing a smile.

"I just thought I should let everyone know of my departure. All of you have been so dear to me in the years that I've been here. Meeting dismissed. I love you guys."

As everyone started to trickle out of the meeting room, Rosie surprised me by giving me a hug.

"I want to stay in Florida," she whispered quietly. I nodded, knowing that she would choose this.

"I'm going to miss you so much," I murmured.

"I really want this job Rosie. I feel better knowing that CMA is stable and Winter is healthy and that you are behaving much better."

Rosie scoffed.

"I'll miss you, but not the nagging!"

3 weeks later...

"Cam, don't forget your wallet! Geez, how many time have I told you!" Phoebe scolded. I smiled sheepishly. Clay, Reed, Hazel, Sawyer, Rosie, and Phoebe had all come to the airport with me to drop me off and say final goodbyes before I departed.

"Ooh, thanks Phoebes," I grinned, pocketing it. Phoebe looked at me, tears in her eyes, and tackled me with a hug.

"I'm going to miss my best friend so much," she murmured. I sniffed.

"And I'll miss mine. If Rosie gives you a hard time, I give you permission to chase her around the apartment with a shoe."

"SIS!" Rosie exclaimed, making us all laugh. Phoebe pulled away.

"Call me every day!"

"Sure thing."

Reed stepped forward and shook my hand.

"I'll keep an eye on Clay for you," he smirked, making me blush.

"Thank you, Mr. Haskett."

Hazel sobbed, hugging me around my waist. Sawyer joined.

"Sawyer, take care of Winter, ok? She needs you. And Hazel, stay yourself. Stay your amazing, stubborn self, no matter what anyone tells you."

They both nodded. Then Clay stepped forward. I started crying.

"I'm so sorry," I cried as he stepped forward to hug me.

"We'll be ok, Cameron," Clay reassured me. I nodded, sniffing. I reached up, pulling him down for a kiss, trying to memorize the feeling of his lips on mine. 

"EWWWWWWW!" the kids exclaimed, making me laugh, still crying. Then it was time for the hardest goodbye. I picked up Rosie who had started crying uncontrollably . 

"Rosie, I'll always be here for you," I murmured, tears running down my face.

"I love you so much."

"Cammie..." she sobbed.

"I'm sorry I was so mean to you when all you did was take care of me. I love you."

I rubbed her back.

"I love you so freaking much Rosie, sorry for the language."

"Cameron?" Clay said hesitantly.

"You're going to miss your flight."

I set Rosie back on the ground gently.

"Call me everyday, ok? Remind Phoebe!"

Rosie nodded, hugging Hazel and Sawyer.

"O-ok."

I kissed Rosie's head and turned to leave, each step making the pain in my heart grow. I refused to look back as I approached the doors of the airport.

"CAM, WAIT! "

I turned around, seeing Phoebe waving frantically at me, her phone in her hand. She ran over to me.

"You forgot a goodbye!"

I looked at her phone, laughing when I saw Becca and Kat on the other end, showing Winter.

"Guys!" I laughed.

"Hey Winter! Are you a good girl?" I asked. Winter trilled happily.

"Stay good, Winter. Don't give Sawyer a hard time and be nice to Panama! She can't echolocate."

"We'll miss you Cam!" Becca and Kat chorused, waving goodbye before hanging up. I hugged Phoebe furiously one last time before waving and blowing a kiss to Clay. Then I entered the airport, ready to start my new life in California.