15

"Clay?" I hissed.

I had just woken up and Hazel, Rosie, Phoebe, and Reed were still curled up in the mound of blankets on the floor. But Clay was missing from his spot. I got up carefully, kissing Rosie and Hazel gently on their foreheads. 

"Clay Haskett!" I called out again. I slowly approached the front door of the aquarium and opened it, revealing Clay.

"Haskett, I thought you were- oh gosh!"

I covered my mouth with my hand, despair washing over me like a tidal wave. The CMA truck was crushed under a tree, toppled sideways. There was no way to fix it with all of our debt. On top of that, debris and all sorts of trash were covering CMA.

"Cameron..."

I hugged Clay, squeezing him fiercely. All of the tension between us just melted away, making me feel more alive than I had in days.

"I'll wake Phoebe up and we'll get volunteers to help clean up this place, ok?" I murmured.

"Thank you Cam. What would I do without you?"

Later that morning, the entire CMA was buzzing with activity, volunteers cleaning up debris, staff members taking care of animals, anything that could help. I grinned and exchanged a happy look with Phoebe across the pool as Winter swam over to me with a net that had fallen into the pool on her nose. I picked it up, murmuring praise.

"Hey, when you're done with that, come here, will you Cam?" Clay asked. Rosie, Reed, and Hazel were with him.

"I got some other things I need your help with."

"Sure thing!" I nodded,  tossing over the net with the others and walking up to meet them. 

"Hey uh, Dr. Clay, Rosie, Hazel, Reed, Cam," 

I turned and saw Sawyer with a man with a brace and a cane and a blonde middle aged woman. 

"This is my cousin Kyle, and uh, my Aunt Alice." Sawyer introduced.

"Nice to meet you," I smiled, shaking the woman's hand.

We all made our way toward Phoebe and Winter. I watched, Clay's arm wrapped loosely around me like old times as Sawyer tried to help Kyle sit, but Kyle stopped him.

"It's ok, I can do this."

Kyle lowered down into an awkward but sure position.

"Hold your hand out," Phoebe instructed. Winter whistled as Kyle reached out. Winter swam forward and stuck her tail out of the water, letting Kyle run his hand over it and making us all smile.

"Is a board meeting happening?" I asked Clay, seeing his disgruntled and worried look as we     looked over the dolphin pool.

"Yeah," I sighed, running a hand over his face.

"They won't let me go to this one." 

"Haskett, you're going to be ok. Winter is going to be ok." I reassured him.

"I hope you're right," he replied, walking away.