tien ;

For the first time, Jake was in love.

Sunghoon was wandering the garden below, looking at every single shrub and every branch of every tree, touching the petals of every flower. The clouds gave a moment of mercy in that hour, clearing enough for the plants to receive a tiny bit more sunlight. Jake sat on the window sill, his legs dangling outside against the white painted wood. He was sure the dust was staining his black shoes, but he didn't care or know. His eyes were on Sunghoon, and his hands held a sketchpad and a Faber-Castell 2B pencil.

Sunghoon was extremely attractive, in Jake's opinion. Like he had said before, his visual was crazy. Jake used the opportunity to capture Sunghoon's beauty on paper, although the task seemed impossible due to how beautiful he was. But Jake sketched on, getting tiny parts of his face here and there. His nose arch seemed incorrect, so Jake began erasing.

"What are you sketching, my love?" Sunghoon called out, making Jake stifle his laugh. Sunghoon smiled, turning fully to face the Australian boy.

"You," was Jake's simple yet affectionate answer. "But you're moving around a bit too much, Prince."

"I thought we weren't doing embarrassing nicknames."

"I'd rather like to be called a prince."

Sunghoon turned around, looking up at one of the larger trees in the garden. By looking closer, he could see that it was a birch tree. There was one in his yard as well, but it was much larger and older. If anything, the one on Jake's property seemed rather young — no more than ten years old.

"Prince Jake of Samu-gil," Sunghoon joked, earning a hearty laugh from the brunette. "Jakey, please be careful up there. I don't want you to fall or get hurt."

"I'll be fine," Jake called out, returning to his sketchbook. His pencil flicked about, creating a quick artwork that seemed like a lot of effort was put into it, but Jake quite literally lightly sketched, getting as much details with as little placement of the pencil. "Hoonie."

"Yes, Prince Jake of Samu-gil?"

Jake let out a little giggle, shaking his head before lifting his head. "Look at me for a moment. I'm struggling with your nose." Sunghoon followed Jake's instruction, looking at him for a moment before getting distracted by the branch of a white forsythia tree. The branches were bare, lifeless as winter touched it, but Sunghoon just knew what tree it was. He was reminded of the winter and a chill went up his spine.

"Jake, aren't you cold?"

"Nope."

"Right, right." Jake was a being of warmth, happiness and kindness. He barely felt the cold temperatures. Sunghoon was envious — yes, the cold barely affected him, but it was still there. It still hurt to lack that warmth that Jake provided. He looked at the brunette boy with longing eyes and their hearts began to speak.

I miss you.

But you're right here.

I want to hold you.

Then come hold me.

"But give me a minute," Jake mumbled as he finished up with Sunghoon's mole on his drawing. "Just… fixing your hair…" He still looked up and down a few more times before smiling softly. "End!" Despite saying this, his pencil still danced across the paper as he wrote something at the bottom. He signed the artwork and wrote the date. "Come inside, I'll make coffee."

Sunghoon smiled, nodding as Jake climbed back into the house carefully. The heavens felt their deoarture from nature, and the sunlight disappeared in a mere moment, decorating the world with a gloomy darkness again. Jake put his sketchbook on his bed and closed his window, as it seemed that it was going to rain again.

"Jakey, come on!"

"I'm coming!" Jake called out, scurrying out of his room and jogging down the stairs. Sunghoon was standing by the island in the kitchen, looking at something on the counter. Jake grinned, gently putting his head on Sunghoon's shoulder. "What's up?"

"Is this you?"

Jake gasped quickly, picking up the set of keys from the counter and attempting to stuff it into his pocket. "Why are you looking at that?!"

"But you're so cute!" Sunghoon laughed, fighting Jake as he reached for the keychain in his pocket. "One more look, I swear! Then you keep it away from me! Jake, come on, don't be like that. Jake. Come on. Sim Jake, sweet prince of Samu-gil. Oh, the beauty of Daejinri — of Gangwon — let me bear gaze upon your face!"

"Stop that, you're being weird!"

"If anything, you're being weird by not letting me see a picture of you as a kid."

Jake gave him a face before sticking his tongue out. "I look bad, leave me be."

Sunghoon smiled softly, removing his rather odd grip on Jake's hands in his pockets and gently pulling him into an embrace. A soft sigh escaped his lips and Jake felt his cheeks burning slightly. "Oh, come on. You're the most beautiful person I've ever met. I don't know how many times I'm going to say it, but I'm so glad we ended up together." He pulled away from the hug, gently putting a hand to Jake's cheek. "I'll respect your wish to hide the photo from me, even if we both know it's unfair."

Jake frowned. "Sunghoon—"

"I'm serious, it's okay," Sunghoon interrupted. He was still for a moment before leaving forward, shyly kissing Jake's cheek. Jake looked at him with big eyes and Sunghoon let go of him, avoiding eye contact as he stepped away.

Jake out a hand to his cheek in confusion. "W-why was that such a big deal? We literally made out last n—"

"Do kisses not have meaning to you?!"

Of course kisses had meaning to Jake. Every time he felt Sunghoon consider it, he felt his heart flutter ever so beautifully. He was shy too, but it seemed to affect Sunghoon more. Jake seemed more eager, more happy to be in this sort of bond with his soulmate, while Sunghoon seemed more careful. He was worried about his actions — worried about disappointing Jake.

But none of that mattered to the brunette Australian. All that mattered was that Sunghoon was by his side, with love in his heart and affection in his eyes. That's all he wanted. That rare, special love that wasn't amazing or spectacular for certain reasons. They just loved and that's all he wanted.

Jake wouldn't deny, he was slowly falling madly in love with Sunghoon and he knew it'd be alright if he did — because Sunghoon definitely loved him just as madly.

What a beautiful thing soulmates are.