ses en veertig ; [ END ]

He wondered what 'forever' meant.

Forever was a scary word.

It was a word he was afraid of using when he described his relationship with Sunghoon.

What was forever?

A state of mind?

A future?

A word to help someone hold onto the small sliver of hope that they would be with their significant other until the test of time?

Jake himself didn't want to know the true meaning of 'forever'. He was afraid of interpreting it incorrectly, and losing Sunghoon to the word they called 'forever'. He was afraid Sunghoon would be pulled away forever if they chose to believe in the word 'forever'.

"Jake."

He opened his eyes, seeing his love standing wt the entrance to the bedroom. The lights were all off, except for one light from the corridor. The light was faint, only illuminating one side of his face ever so faintly. Jake didn't smile, but Sunghoon walked towards him anyways. The window was open, a cold end-of-autumn breeze joining the once warm atmosphere of the bedroom.

"I know I said we'd stay together forever," Jake muttered, "but it seems so far out reach."

"Forever is definitely unattainable," Sunghoon replied, walking over to Jake and sitting down beside him. The cold of autumn barely bothered him. "But we can achieve it together. We can be together forever if we they hard enough. Nothing in this world can pull us apart."

"Anything in this world can pull us apart — it's up to us to get back together," Jake muttered, looking away from the slightly younger male.

It was definitely a scary reality. The universe brought them together, but it can also break them apart. Whether they'd achieve their stand as soulmates until old age, they couldn't be sure. But Jake didn't want to lose Sunghoon in any way, shape or form.

"Jake?"

The Australian looked at him, humming a soft 'yes?' in response. Sunghoon didn't answer immediately. "Hoon, what's wrong?"

"I'll love you forever."

Jake widened his eyes, sitting up from the bed. The gaze in Sunghoon's eyes remained soft and loving, so he smiled. A warm, fuzzy smile that filled him with hope for the future. No — their future. "Like I'd let you go in the first place."

"Then what are we so worried about?" Sunghoon asked, sitting up as well. He gently kissed Jake's forehead, running a hand through his hair. "One day, we'll grow old together. With a family of our own. We'll run off together and create our own story. Soulmates around the world will read our story and make sure to love each other with all their hearts. We'll show that now matter what, we can do anything together."

"Are we really going to run off together?" Jake asked with a soft smile.

"Of course — but I still have my home, all alone in the cold, so you can live with me," Sunghoon said, leaning against Jake's side. "It'll be a little difficult as we grow up, because my parents will eventually stop supporting me. We'll have to make a living by ourselves soon. You can do your art thing, and I'll just help out at the farm for a bit to earn something. After some saving up, we can start doing thing independently."

"I'll always be helping Hyuna noona with her shop," Jake smiled with a nod. "Besides, mt creativity will never run dry — now that I have you as my inspiration."

"Oh, stop it, you."

Jake laughed, nudging Sunghoon so that he fell to the bed. He lied down beside him and Sunghoon moved to put his arms around Jake, holding him in place as they cuddled. This was the last day of their worries. This was the last time they'd ever worry about the word 'forever'. Whether achieved or not, interpreted correctly or not, they'd make sure to be together for as long as possible.

When will their forever end, you ask?

Until the universe decides, it seems.

Some leniency has been granted to these two soulmates. The same couldn't be said about other soulmates — including Sunoo and Niki, and Hyuna and Jay. It couldn't be said about Mr and Mrs Sim either. Maybe their time as soulmates is growing to a close as well. Uncle Hyeokjoo already lost his soulmate — who's to say that the same won't happen to others?

Forever is much shorter than one would think. Forever lasts as long as the collective idea is kept in mind by the two individuals. Forever lasts as long as you'd want to be together.

But you don't choose that.

The universe does.

I love you, Jake.

The universe decides if your love is worth continuing 'forever'.

Jake and Sunghoon were in a very fortunate position, in which the universe has decided to let Jake and Sunghoon be together for as long as they liked.

Truly, Jake and Sunghoon were the first soulmates to decide their own 'forever'.

After all, love is temporary.

Happiness is temporary.

So don't be afraid to go all out when you meet your soulmate.

Love with all your heart.

Decide your own forever.

I love you too, Sunghoon.

Just be happy.