sewe ;

Nighttime soon arrived, and the Sim family, including Sunghoon, were having dinner while Mr Sim was setting up the TV in the living room. Jake was excited — it was his first dinner with his soulmate, and his nerves were in a large bundle. He hoped Sunghoon was impressed by him, since he didn't really have much to offer.

"Your home is much different from mine," Sunghoon commented, looking around the dining room. "Mine is much… older. Mine has this, uhm… Victorian style. Apparently, rich white Europeans first settled in these homes and my home was owned by the 'Knerluence' family in the 16th century. My family line kept the style for years, and it's still that way today. Of course, some extra electrical work and plumbing was added."

"This whole house was renovated a couple years back," Mrs Sim said as she prepared ssam for herself. "It has a very modern feel to it now, and I really like it. I love the grey wood floors, but it seems that the upstairs was done much differently, which is quite irritating. However, Jake's room sits with its reno quite well because of the greenery in the backyard."

"Your garden is magnificent," Sunghoon smiled. "I love gardenwork. We should work on it together one day, Jakey."

"Jakey isn't fond of soil, I'm afraid," Hyuna smiled. "He's an indoors person. He's always in his room — painting, drawing, writing, such things. He has a very creative soul."

"I'll call you when we start with the garden — we're waiting until we're settled in before we do it," Mrs Sim said. "Changmin, come eat — the TV can wait, honey."

"I'm almost done, don't worry," Jake's father called from the living room. His wife gave a weary smile to the two boys and her daughter she had yet to discover.

"Jake's father was a singer once," Mrs Sim smiled. "Oh, he was most wonderful. But when we started to settle down, he eventually left his idol life and we started a family. Hyunseong was our first child. We hoped for a little girl, really, but… a son was fine too."

And Hyuna widened her eyes. Her heart thumped quickly in her chest. Before her mother could continue, she put her chopsticks down and prepared to speak. "I have something to say." She stopped nervously, but continued as best she could. "And I'd like Dad here as well."

Jake knew exactly what she wanted to say. "Noona—"

Mrs Sim frowned. "Noona? Jake—"

"What's going on?" Mr Sim asked, walking into the tense atmosphere in the dining room. "Hyunseong, what's wrong?"

Hyuna's shoulders were tensed and her eyes filled with tears. "I'm not Hyunseong. Mom, Dad — I-I… I'm transgender."

"Oh, goodness." Mrs Sim gasped, putting her hands over her mouth. Mr Sim simply raised an eyebrow. "Goodness, Hyunseong. W-when… when did you think this?"

Hyuna bit her lips together. "The first time I suggested growing my hair out, so about three years ago. Since then, I… I hated myself. I felt so uncomfortable with my gender, with my identity as a person. But when I tried doing womanly things, I… grew comfortable with myself. And when I disappeared today, I… I purchased hormones. I'm starting my transition today."

The room was silent. Jake tried reading his parents' expression, but it was difficult. Mrs Sim let a tear fall down her cheek. "Oh my goodness, we had no idea you felt that way. I feel terrible! Changmin, say something."

"So you feel more like a woman?" Mr Sim asked. His tone was more curious and confused, but Jake could sense some harshness with his confusion. Hyuna nodded, looking down as her tears grew heavy enough to fall. "Why didn't you come out sooner? Why suffer for three years?"

"I wasn't sure either," Hyuna said quickly. "But late last year, I asked Jake to start calling me noona, and it felt good. I felt that I was being gendered correctly, and I'm happy Jaeyoon made me feel that way."

"Hyunseong, I feel terrible," Mrs Sim said, standing up from her seat and walking over to her daughter. She pulled Hyuna in a tight hug. "Don't withhold news like this for so long. Oh, my sweet child. It's okay, we'll always love you — as a son or daughter."

Mr Sim walked around the table as well, joining in on the hug. "I'm not too familiar with this whole… trans thing, but what I do know is that you're still my child. I'll get used to it."

"What do we call you now?" Mrs Sim asked, turning to her now discovered daughter. "Hyunseong is probably a name you wouldn't go with, I'm guessing."

"She goes by Hyuna now," Sunghoon piped up, a smile on his face. The two looked at Sunghoon and he simply smiled at them. "And I think Hyuna is a beautiful name."

Mr Sim smiled, gently running a hand through Hyuna's hair. "I think so too. What a beautiful name. And in know you'll grow up to be a beautiful woman, just as your name."

"Oh, we need to go clothing shopping!" Mrs Sim exclaimed excitedly. "Jake can go through your old clothing and take what he wants — we can go shopping together now!"

"Hang on, we just bought a new house — shopping can wait."

"Oh, shush, Changmin, Hyuna deserves a makeover after this news."

Jake was glad he had such an accepting family. It was difficult to find a family such as his own. And it seemed that Sunghoon was amazed by how accepting they were. Yes, they were quite the rarity — Jake knew it too. Despite the anomaly known as the Sim family, he hoped that everyone had the luck he had. He hoped that everyone had the warmth and acceptance he got to experience every day. Yes, they had fights, but they were always resolved with a warm hug.

He hoped one day, everyone else could experience such warmth, and find their counterpart.

"Sunghoon, sweetie, it's rather late," Mrs Sim piped up suddenly as she sat by her seat again. "Sit down, Changmin, the TV can wait." She smiled, turning to Sunghoon again. "Why don't you stay the night? The guest bedroom is already set, so you can spend the night."

Jake looked at Sunghoon with some sort of undecipherable hope. Sure enough, his soulmate nodded. "I'd love to stay."