Chapter Twenty-Two

The lights had disappeared, China had her back pressed against the end of the aisle, her breath hitched as her grip around her her gun tightened. The dull haze of the flashlight soon flickered back on. The outsiders were gone. For the time being.

Quickly, China sprung onto her feet, inching her way quietly towards the front of the store, there was nothing but darkness on the other side of the window. There's only a one-way exit to the pharmacy and that's the same way she had came in, the entrance. She stepped over towards the door, her fingers grazed over the handle as she slowly pushed it open, peering out to see nothing but the lonely streets of Manhattan.

At least I don't worry about traffic anymore. China sighed in relief and shifts her gaze towards the street ahead of her, the sky had started to turn from black to blue, the stars she had been staring at hours ago are slowly starting to vanish. Sunrise is coming. Quickly at that.

China continued her way outside, letting the breeze caress the exposed parts of her body, she continued her way down the road, gazing at every little thing around her, appreciating this beautiful devastation.

She ambled along the sidewalk, her eyes briefly ran over old newspapers strewn almost everywhere, old credit cards, five to twenty dollar bills. These things used to matter a while ago, it was the daily life of other people...now they're all like relics, they are relics.

China gazed off at the distance, her favorite sight had to be Lady Liberty, the statue's stance had been tilted to the side, it was safe to say that the outsiders were responsible for that detail, but the statue still held it's torch high, book in hand. She stopped and shifted her feet in the direction of the statue.

"You're very beautiful..." China spoke in complete awe, "I'd love to be like you someday."

China's smile slightly faded, dejectedly, she closed her eyes as she was taken back by a memory floating around in her head.

"Wipe that damned smile off your face!"

Those words alone sent a chill down China's spine, she half expected the exploding pain of her jaw and her head snapping to the side as those words rung like a siren, the clenching of her shirt as she still struggled to maintain what's been her strength her entire life: her smile.

Her lips curved upwards as her eyes opened up again, "I'll be back Lady Liberty." She swiftly said as she continued down the road.

China was somewhat aware of the risks of sneaking out alone, yet she still took the time to admire the things she saw as pure beauty, though many of her group members deemed her crazy or just downright delusional.

Soon, she approached the same cluster of old vehicles that always blocked her from the other side of the crossroad. She allowed a smirk to play along her face as she begun to climb the vacant vehicles, the soles of her shoes grazed along the moss and crevices of open windows.

She had continued her same routine of climbing the vehicles silently, then leaping down the other side, which would eventually take her to the old fence that gated the junkyard.

--

China had finally made it inside the junkyard, though it was a bit of a challenge trying not to make much noise that would've potentially draw attention to herself, she was able to pull through and return back to her humble abode. There she stood, above the lid of the bunker.

She grabbed the rustic handles of the lid and gave it a sharp tug, revealing the tunnel and the old metal bars that ascending down like a ladder. If anyone was awake, they'd definitely hear China yanking the lid off, she slowly started climbing her way down, making sure the lid closed above her without much noise. Once she had finished climbing down, she peered around the corner, down the hallway.

"Shit! Jay! Grab him!"

The muffled sound of North's frantic voice rung out into the hallway. China found herself sprinting down the hallway, ignoring the loud sounds of her feet that clashed along the steel floor, she quickly opened the door to Nikki's room, where the voice has emerged from, and opened it ferociously.

North laid on the floor, hand over his now bruised cheek as his eyes blazed with pure fury. Winter stood in front of him, arms extended in front of North protectively as Nikki stood in the corner, eyes wide, unsure what to do as her hands ran along her stomach. In front of Winter were Bob and Jay, Jay had his arms looped underneath Bob's armpits, trying to drag a yelling and thrashing Bob away.

All of them turned their heads at China, who just stood there, eyes widened as her mouth forms an "O" shape. "What's going on?" China asked innocently.

"China..." Winter gasped, her chest heaved up and down as she let out short breaths.

Bob gazed at China, eyes wide and full of anger as he tried to pry himself free of Jay's grip.

"What's wrong?" China demanded, "Why are you grabbing Bob like that?" She asked Jay, who suddenly looked absolutely distraught.

Bob's eyebrows knitted together, his nose scrunched up. "Who the hell is Bob?" He sneered angrily, his voice raised like thunder. "Let go of me!"

Nikki cleared her throat, "I understand that you're confused, but yelling and fighting won't help anyone here, take deep breaths and calm down." Nikki reprimanded in a calm voice, it's no where as calm Tyrese's but he wasn't here at the moment, so Nikki is doing her best to do what he normally does. 

The boy listened, lowering his arms as his chest slowly rose up and down. Jay started to loosen his grip, "One wrong move and I'm knocking you out." Jay warned as he reluctantly took a step back, China stepped forward, gazing at the boy.

"What happened?" She asked gently, the boy stared at her silently in response.

Winter, as if on que, started speaking up, "I think he's starting to remember who he is...I played a certain song for him on my iPod and he's been having these small blackouts..."

Winter turned around, extending her hand down to North who just smacked her hand away angrily. "Small blackouts my ass, he was able to slug me right in my face and knock me flat!" North grumbled as he struggled to stand up on his own. Winter sighed, her shoulders relaxing as she turned back to the boy.

"Can you tell us...who are you?" Winter asked meekly. The boy gives her a long deadpan stare. "Please, we can't get any further if we don't know what to call you." Winter added.

"She asked you a question." North added assertively. North was back on his feet, arms folded across his chest as an angry look played on his face.

"I'm Ezra...Ezra Hendrix."