Chapter Twenty-Nine

Today was the day. Today was the day that Ezra stepped out of the bunker to see what had actually happened during the years he had missed.

He could only figure out who he was and who was kin to him, the other bits and pieces about him were left undisputed such as what he was doing during the corruption, how he forgot his memories, and exactly what the hell happened during the years he had missed. He didn't know what to believe, but he knew that in order to find out, he just had to go along with it until he could gather some information himself.

His eyes sleepily gazed back at himself through the reflection of the bathroom mirror. His body slightly shuddered from the coldness of the room as he ran his hands over his neck, tracing his fingers down towards the middle part of his slightly hairy chest, over the faded X scar that was not to far below his right shoulder blade. His eyes closed as he quickly retracted his fingers.

The hell am I doing just standing here? Move it Hendrix. Ezra thought as he reaches over towards the pile of clothes on top of the toilet seat.

He opened the door to see the small group standing at the very end of the bunker, behind Jay was the metal ladder that ascended up the tunnel. Ezra continued his way down the hallway, adjusting the collar of his long sleeved grey shirt.

He came to a halt in front of Jay, "What's the hold up?" He asked, Jay swiftly turned to face him.

Ezra took a second to look at Jay's attire. He wore a long sleeved black turtleneck shirt underneath a SWAT bulletproof vest, a pair of dark slacks that contained a gun holster wrapped around his left thigh. The tribal tattoo was nowhere to be seen upon his neck.

The way the group had dressed baffled Ezra, North had a leather jacket over a plain white t-shirt that had the number 5 on it, his dark jeans contained a dagger holster, to complete his attire, he had a shiny rifle slung over his shoulder. He somewhat looked normal compared to the others, the sight of the gun on his shoulder gave Ezra the chills.

As for Faith, she was currently wearing a lambskin leather jacket over a black tank top that matched with her black cargo pants. She shot a glare back at Ezra, who simply shifted his gaze back to Jay.

Jay cracked his lips to answer Ezra's question. "We're waiting for-"

"I'm here."

The voice was upbeat and energetic, something that didn't quite suit the atmosphere of the trio that was standing before Ezra. Ezra glanced down to see a young black girl with long box braids, this time her hair was pinned back in a bun, several braids fell alongside her face. Her big, warm brown eyes gazed up at Ezra as she shot him a welcoming smile.

Faith's throat clearing interrupted Ezra's gaze. "China, I've told you before-"

"I can handle the cold, it gets me stronger." China interrupted. Her outfit alone seemed more laid back compared to the group. She wore a white tank top with navy blue shorts over sheer black leggings, a red jacket had been wrapped around her waist and she eagerly had her hands clenched on both straps of her backpack.

Faith pinched the bridge of her nose for a split second then she made a nod at Jay. It was clear to Ezra that this girl had irritated her.

Jay quickly reached in his back pocket, pulling out a pistol. He placed a hand on Ezra's shoulder before leaning in to whisper in his ear.

"Don't make me regret this." Jay warned sourly before breaking away. Ezra silently took the pistol out of Jay's hands in response.

"Since you're with us Ezra, let me give you a run on the rules here." Jay announced, Faith already started climbing towards the top of the tunnel, the steel making loud sounds under her heavy boots.

Jay began to list the rules. "You don't part from the group unless we tell you to do so, never respond to any voices in which you can't see the speaker, you don't make loud noises when on the surface, and never forget..."

"When you're told to take the shot, take the damn shot." Jay added. He glanced towards China, who was busy making silly faces at North.

"Once we're done with the child play, we'll get to the surface." Jay reprimanded with a smirk. China rolled her eyes good naturedly as she let out a child-like giggle.

Take the shot? Ezra echoed in his head as he climbed up the ladder.

--

Sickness.

That's all Ezra had felt the moment he set foot out of the junkyard, from the dull cloudy sky above him to the live destruction in front of him, the group continued on, ignoring the eerie landscape that they had just set their feet upon. This was normal to them, but a rude awakening to Ezra.

Ezra followed the group down the street, North had kept stealing occasional glances over his shoulder back at Ezra while he walked ahead with Faith and Jay, as if he wanted to say something but couldn't.

"Milo?"

Not even close. Ezra thought to himself as he turned his head to face China, who was walking next to him. Her eyebrows raised in curiosity as she inspected his face.

"It's Ezra...try not to forget my name this time." Ezra corrected with a faint grin. China exchanged the smile and jogged in front of him, turning heel so that she was walking while facing Ezra.

"And I'm China." She introduced herself while she held a peace sign. "Nice to meet you again."

"That's a pretty name, I like it." Ezra complimented.

"Thank you! Your name is pretty cute too!" China gushed. Ezra feels a slight sense of unease rise inside of him.

She's kind, too kind.

"Oh?" Ezra numbly echoed. China nodded.

"Mhm! I can call you Ezzy for short." She answered back with high spirit. "I often call North 'south' but he doesn't really like it."

She may be odd but she's got spunk.

"How are you so amped this morning?" Ezra asked with an eyebrow raise. China quickly turned back around so that they were side-by-side.

"You don't know? You gotta feed your gut and do some pushups every morning!" China rambled on, making a pulling motion with her hands.

"I've kind of missed the memo when your leader verbally assaulted me." Ezra jokingly whispered, only loud enough for him and China to hear.

China giggled, "She's a nice lady, she brought you out here onto the surface didn't she?"

Ezra knitted his eyebrows together for a split second at China's response. Confused.

China skipped off down with the rest of her comrades, next to the muscular Jay, who looked down at her with a warm smile, one that he hardly shown around anyone else.

For a moment, Ezra's eyes met with Jay's, he had worn the same protective gaze held Ezra in a trance.

Ezra quickly came to the conclusion that of the conversation that he and Jay had exchanged, it wasn't just a warning, it was a threat.

All for her.