Chapter 39

Author's Note: So sorry for the late update! School has started for me and it is so not fun. Hopefully, the insane length this chapter is will make up for it. (Seriously, is it better to update long chapters in longer periods of time, or short chapters in short periods of time?) Also, if you've noticed the picture in the sidebar (or above, depending on if you're a web or mobile reader), it's simply a map I marked up with the Nephilum territories (which I'm sure you are curious about.) The external link carries the enlarged version. Anyway, read on and enjoy!

Chapter 39

“Where is the Daughter of Eve?” I hear Valencia screaming right as we rush down the hallway. “Who was on door duty? Goddammit, do your jobs!”

She and Leigh are standing with Eric, Courtney and Vee. In the rushing throngs of movement, they’re the only ones who are still.

“I’m here, I’m here,” I shout, skidding into the lobby, clutching Jesse’s hand. She waves us over, impatient. 

“You’ve been filled in?” she asks, looking to Sasha.

I nod.

She gets right into it. “All Branches are in agreement to aid, except one.”

“Fifth?” I guess.

Valencia grits her teeth. “We can’t attack like this. We’ve lost the element of surprise. The least we need is all units on board.”

“Has Fifth Branch said why?” Courtney asks.

“They don’t think it’s worth it,” Valencia answers simply, fury in her eyes and a sour twist to her mouth. “He’s heard the rumors of Amanel’s personal vengeance for him.”

And suddenly, something echoes in my head. Five will follow with the promise of glory.

“We have to leave now, with or without them,” Valencia continues. “We’re the only ones that aren’t at the shoreline, and First Branch is obviously first line.”

“Wait,” I interrupt. “If Cyreel won’t listen to reason because he’s looking out for himself, then tell him there’s reward in it. Tell him about the glory of victory if he bests Amanel and comes home with her defeat by his hand.”

I have to swallow back bile saying those words.

“We’ve tried,” Leigh says tiredly.

“So try again!” I insist. “Five will follow with the promise of glory. The boy was talking about the Fifth Branch, not five people.”

They all give me a strange look. “Who?” Vee asks.

I shake her question off. “A dead little kid. He knew what he was talking about.”

Leigh and Valencia exchange a look. Leigh nods, and sprints off to find Cyreel. 

“She’ll meet us there.”

Without another word, Valencia teleports us onto a dark beach. As my eyes focus, I realize this is the same beach we took off from last time. I can even see the barn over the ridge of the hill. Let’s hope the Fifth Branch had cleared the obelisks before their base blew up. 

It should be dark around us, the moonlight dim, but the fire-using Cambions on scene are contributing furious orange light. There are more than I had imagined. 

“Where have all these people been hiding?” Jesse mutters.

“Defenses are steady if the Cambions distribute themselves along second to last line,” Valencia says. “Our chance isn’t suicidal at least.”