Chapter 34

Author's Note: *angel choir singing* The masses have spoken, and an early update has arrived as requested. Enjoy, and don't forget to vote or comment! :D (The next one is coming late Sunday/ very early Monday depending on timezones, resuming normal, weekend update routine!)

Chapter 34

“Park, do you copy?” Valencia says into the walkie-talkie.

Static. And then, “I copy. The demon-bloods aren’t here yet. Do we move in?”

Valencia thins her lips. “Not yet. Wait for them to arrive, then radio.” 

“You have the target area in sight?”

She rattles out our current co-ordinates, adding, “We’re checking out the premises first. It appears void of life. If back-up is required, I’ll send a signal.”

“Got it,” Park replies over the static.

“Clear.” Valencia tosses the walkie-talking into her pocket unceremoniously, and orders the captain to take us right to shore.

“Val, is that a good idea?” Leigh asks, cutting a gaze at her.

“Do you have a better one?” Valencia asks in return. Leigh opens her mouth, but Valencia raises a hand, cutting her off. “Taking into account the six demon-blood kids we have with us.”

Leigh clamps her jaw shut.

The boat picks up speed again, and we ride with raw nerves towards the island. It doesn’t take long to reach shore, but no one is really too eager to get off. There’s an awkward beat of stillness, before Kane pulls on his shirt roughly and takes the lead. He hauls his weapons bag onto his shoulder, making a racket as he jumps off. 

I glance to my side, where Jesse is staring into space. Following his line of sight, I realize it’s the spot where we had pushed off our dingy making our escape. The memory of when my leg practically got torn off there still haunts me. It's also where Cecily was set free. Or so I thought.

“That’s where you first killed the two mindless, isn’t it?” Courtney asks suddenly.

She, along with everyone else still on the boat, has noticed Jesse’s daze too. He’s making no move to budge.

“It’s where Cecily first killed the two mindless,” Sasha reminds those in listening vicinity.

“It’s the same thing,” Jesse says roughly. With that, he bolts off the boat like he can’t get off fast enough.

Eric and I exchange a knowing look.

“So much angst,” I mutter, following after him. 

***

Courtney leads us through the forest, shoving away every branch in her path like it has personally insulted her.

The island is less scary in broad daylight, but there’s something achingly creepy about the dead silence. There isn’t a bird singing, or as much as a chirp of a cricket.

“There was noise when we lived here, right?” I ask Vee, who’s trudging near the back where I am. It’s a strategic position so I can keep an eye on everyone. And it’s also because this is freaking me out.

“There were squawking birds every morning,” Vee replies. “Most of them gathered in South Wing right outside my dorm, so I should know. Woke us up before dawn sometimes.”