Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Déjà vu hits me like a metaphorical tidal wave as I open my eyes to a dim room, my face flat on a stone floor.

But that sound is definitely new.

“Eric?” I rasp, pulling myself onto my elbows. “Is that you?”

“Uuhh,” he replies. It sounds like he’s gargling on water.

“Eric?”

It doesn’t look like he’s in pain or discomfort. He’s curled in a ball in the corner, forehead tucked into his knees. At the sound of my voice he lifts his head.

“Oh, hey, you’re up.”

I struggle to sit. “How long was I out?” How many times have I asked that question today?
Eric pretends to think. “I’ve gotten at least six scathing looks from that guy over there, so we've been in here for ten minutes or so.”

I squint into the darkness, and see a buff, dark-skinned Nephilum man guarding a metal door elevated by a few cement steps. He’s trying to blend into the shadows, but his bleach white clothing makes that a little hard.

I suppose it’s the Nephilum holding us hostage now: in an actual medieval prison too.

“Not that I don’t enjoy being incarcerated with you, but why did they put us together and leave all these empty ones?” I point to the dozens of cells visible out the floor-to-roof steel bars.

Eric shrugs. “Maybe they’re being ironic?” he says.

Yes, because the First Branch Nephilum are totally going to take time out of their day to specially lock up an Ariel and a Eric together. 

“Glad you can find amusement while we’re stuck with people trying to kill us.”

“It’s not really that different from usual.”

I side-eye. He tucks his upper lip into itself and makes a funny face.

“Strange child. Do you know where everyone else is? What happened?”

Eric is about to speak, but his gaze lifts briefly and the words stay locked in. A flash of heavy panic crosses his face.

“First things first…” he mutters, quickly scrambling to his feet.

I get up woozily, swiveling to see what he is looking at. The Nephilum guard has let in five others, and three are holding swords that look like the executing kind. 

“Get behind me,” I mutter to Eric, a grip on his arm to make sure he stays in cover.

“No arguments there,” he says, wincing. “I don’t sense a single animal within a ten-mile radius. Not even an ant!”

“Don’t worry, I can handle this,” I assure. “Wait for my signal.”

“Signal? What—”

I cut him off with a furious wave of my hand and a very friendly glare.

One of the Nephilum slams his sword down on the padlock, slicing it cleanly in half as if it were fruit.

He barrages in; I wait and prepare, taking a step back and effectively squishing Eric up against the wall. 

The Nephilum pauses. “A spindly female protecting the male. This is new.”

I bring up a hand before he can come closer. He doesn't look too concerned as the room alights with indigo. In fact, he even raises his sword menacingly, smiling.