Chapter 7

Author's Note: I'm a horrible updater, I know. Camp NaNo is tough and so is homework :/ I'll try get the next chapter up soon! Don't forget to vote and comment, I love hearing from you all :)

Chapter 7

"What do we do?" Sasha asks, voice hushed.

"Fight them?" Courtney offers.

"We can't," I whisper. "Our powers compared to their powers are like babies. We don't know what adult Cambions can do."

Courtney grunts. "Then we run?"

"I say we run," Eric echoes.

"No!" Jesse rushes to say.

There's quiet as we turn to look at him. I've never seen him so conflicted.

"Are you crazy, Jess?" Sasha hisses. "You're not suggesting we take them on. One of them is a telepath. Only, like, three families excluding yours carry that line."

"Exactly," he hisses. "One of them could be my dad."

I'm shocked into silence.

"Jesse," I choke out. "I know you said your family was a little cuckoo but I didn't think your father would go around with a fake firearm."

His hands push through his hair, pulling at the strands roughly. "I don't know if it is. It's only a possibility. I can't read their minds. I'm getting bits and pieces but the natural block from the telepath is strong."

He wheezes out a breath, then continues, "I think- I think-" he tries to explain, "I think maybe it's possible they're after something? They don't want to hurt anyone, it's not like they're really lugging around weapons."

"What could they be after that causes them to make a scene in human territory?" Courtney asks. "Let me guess, a magical time-traveling device."

"No..." I say, my thoughts spinning. "But maybe that relic the Nephilum mentioned."

"What was it again?" Eric asks. "Liberty? Libra?"

"Libero," Jesse corrects. "Why would Cambions want the relic now?"

I blow out a frustrated breath. "Okay. First things first, we need to get their masks off."

"Telekinesis is out," Vee says in a low voice. "It's too risky in case one of them has the same ability. They'll sense it as soon as we tap into it, and stop us."

"But there's what? A two-out-of-seven chance of telekinesis if we exclude the one that is a telepath?" Courtney says.

"We're assuming that they're regular Cambions with that statistic," I say. "One could be a pure, and sense it despite not having the ability."

"I still say we risk it."

"I still say we don't," Vee argues. "It's dangerous."

"What isn't dangerous?" Courtney chews at her fingernails. "They're going to expect anything anyway."

"Not everything," I whisper, watching the three. And then I run forward.

"Air!" Sasha hisses. "Get back here!"

By the time the last word leaves her mouth, I've already leapt high and landed, riding on the shoulders of the nearest masked Cambion. The man stumbles back from my sudden weight.

You're insane, my mind is screaming at me. Shut up, I scream back.

I tighten the grip my legs have around his neck. With a jerk to the side, I pull myself downwards, hands steadying myself on the floor. I flip around and cartwheel, getting back on my feet as the man's head hits on the ground with a grunt. All that took less than two seconds, but my muscles feel strained from misuse already. I am really out of shape. I pull off his mask, revealing a blond scruff with blue streaks.