Chapter 32

Author's Note: So sorry for the late update! I may or may not have marathon watched The 100 (it's amazing, by the way, 10/10 recommend) and then realized far too late that I actually have editing to do. Also, a reminder that I'm still trying to dedicate out the chapters to new commenters! If you've commented even once through this story and I haven't dedicated you, let me know! Put a !!! somewhere in the comments, and I'll know to dedicate. Ever since Wattpad got rid of the ability to actually see what's dedicated to people, I cannot keep track. Anyhow, read on and I hope you enjoy! Don't forget to vote or comment :)

Chapter 32

I pull the closest tree out from the earth.

Its roots appear without resistance, and with a tug, the tree is hovering in the air. Utterly stoic, I lift, prepared to toss it at the base.

“Put that back!” Jesse hisses, eyes wide. “Ariel! Down! Now!”

I grit my teeth.

Ariel,” he tries again, using his height to loom over me. “Put it down before Valencia turns around and sees.”

It would be so easy to just throw the damn thing. All it takes is the very thought and accompanying hand movement.

I shove the floating tree back in roughly.

Jesse sighs a breath of relief as I resume walking again, putting distance from the base.

“Well, the Fifth Branch are going to have a lopsided tree now,” he says lightly, trying to mollify my fuming.

I stomp on a branch, grinding it to dust.

“You know what?” I hiss. “I’m going to…”

Incoherent words follow my empty threat. I imitate strangling Cyreel around his wiry neck, but Jesse lowers my arms.

“No, you’re not,” he says. “Because you’re not going to upset the delicate peace we have going.” Jesse tilts his chin at Valencia, who's a few paces in the lead, unaware of what just happened. “Some Nephilum are actually treating us like equals. Despite how great a sight it would be to see Cyreel strangled, let’s try not to ruin this.”

Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if Aunt Nelly killed him. Battlefield casualties, right?

But then who’s going to keep the Fifth Branch in order? my subconscious chimes in. He can’t die. No leader is even more dangerous than a corrupted leader.

I mumble unintelligible curses under my breath. We'll have to deal with this after retrieving the relic. 

Up ahead, Valencia glances back at us, not a moment too soon. “Cyreel only said you two had to sleep in the barn, right?” she says. “You can clean up inside their guest house first then.”

The said house looms up ahead; its four-storied design is modern and artsy, painted in woodsy colors for camouflage.

I wonder if it’s mandatory for all bases to have a guest house. After all, Nephilum from other branches need a place to stay when they go into other Branch territory on business like this. Why not have lodging agreements within themselves? It's certainly efficient.

"Come on!" Valencia calls, waiting for us to catch up at the front door.

Once we're close, she simply turns the handle and walks in. 

"I was kind of expecting a fingerprint scanner," Jesse mutters. 

Given how complicated the door into their HQ is, so did I.