Chapter 41

Author's Note: I should be studying for an ecology test tommorow but nope, instead I'm editing 4,400 words to make sure they flow nicely. #smartlifedecisions. Also, I'm so sorry if I didn't reply to a reply in the previous chapter because for some reason I don't think Wattpad notified me and I only saw them when I went scrolling. I thought it might be weird replying to something from 5 days ago. Anyhow, read on and enjoy! Don't forget to vote or comment! (I'm suspecting there might be about two, three chapters left? I don't know. I have to get this done before the workload from school really piles on!)

Chapter 41

I’m already panting by the time we run through the fence, and I’ve done nothing so far except duck and swerve. The ground opens up and swallows a mindless every few seconds, courtesy of Courtney. Every time a gaping hole opens, the world shakes. 

Not only is the earth moving, but the yard is spinning, though I suspect that’s probably just because there’s not enough blood going to my head. 

Sasha reads something in my face, because she grabs ahold my shoulder. 

“I’m fine,” I insist, shaking her hand off.

“Are you sure?”

A blur of movement appears behind her. 

“Sasha!” Vee warns. 

Sasha spins, throwing up both her arms and swallowing the blast of fire with her body. 

“Go, go, go!” she chants to us. 

“Around East Wing,” I order, trying to shake some vigor into my arms. With all that’s going on, I feel numb in the interior, but I can’t afford to be numb in the exterior too. Maybe I am in shock. I need to shock myself out of my shock. 

“East?” Valencia repeats. “What’s wrong with the front door?” 

“We can get in using the attic,” I say plainly.

Courtney scowls. “Since when did this House have an attic and why did no one tell me?”

“Because you were an absolute nightmare?” Sasha suggests.

I smile ever so slightly.

“I’m guaranteeing there are mindless right behind that door, ready to incinerate us,” I tell them. “The attic window is the only one in the entire House without the electro-shock bars—”

I cut off with a sharp inhale.

“And how are we getting past them?” Courtney mutters. Her eyes swivel to me, and widen in ferocity. “Ariel, down!” 

Eric yanks my arm, moving me just to the left enough so Sasha can push away a scorching blaze. I stare after the red flash, stunned.

“Don’t look so upset, your Nephilum reflexes are going to come back eventually,” Valencia says. 

Yeah, and meanwhile so, my body is 55% gelatin rather than plasma. 

She flicks my arm, making me scowl. “Bad form. Keep the sword straight.”

“It’s heavy,” I argue as she lets blast a dozen blow-darts.

She ignores my complaints, surveying the House to our side. “How far off is this attic window?”

I attempt to grip the sword properly, standing with my feet apart and shoulders wide. “It’s just up ahead. The House is kind of hexagonal, so we need to round two more semi-corners.”

Vee coughs loudly, soot all over her face from the near misses. “Can we keep moving? I really dislike fire.”

“Vee and Eric, come with me,” I demand. “We’ll make for the window first.”