𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨: 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚕𝚢 𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚗𝚎𝚛𝚜

"why do you keep staring at me?"  nakajima jumped, hitting his shoulder on someone's shoulder

"why do you keep staring at me?"  nakajima jumped, hitting his shoulder on someone's shoulder.  he turned around and bowed, quickly apologizing to whoever he was speaking to.  the person in front of him giggled before telling him to straighten up.

"fukasaku-san?"  a look of confusion was present on nakajima's face as he stared at the smiling woman.  "are you not going to answer my question?"  it took nakajima a few moments to figure out what she meant when he realized he was caught in the act.  he turned red and immediately started to apologize.  though, fukasaku only laughed and brushed it off.

"i've been meaning to ask.."  he trailed off, realizing how inappropriate it is to ask someone about their relationship.  however, with fukasaku eagerly pushing him to tell her, he had no choice but to do so.

"kunikida?  We're friends as well as coworkers."  nakajima could only sweatdrop at the look of obliviousness on the woman's face.  "it's just that," he clarified, "you always have a way of calming kunikida-san, and so I thought there was something between you two..."  the last part was actually mumbled, so fukasaku wasn't able to catch it.

"that's probably because both of us came to the agency at the same time.  before kunikida and dazai were partners, i was the one always with him."  fukasaku spotted the small sparkle in nakajima's eyes as he listened attentively to her.  she giggled before continuing on with her story.

"both of us were much different back then, especially me.  kunikida was all about his ideals still, but he wasn't as open now as he was before.  he was also much calmer than now, seeing as dazai wasn't there at the time.  and, well, since we were partners, we've also opened up to each other."

"is that really it?"  fukasaku nodded, a small smile on her lips as she stared into the distance.  "opening up to your partner allows for your trust to strengthen.  that is something that the president has taught me."

fukasaku walked away, joining yosano while nakajima watched her, confused by her words.  a simple thing such as trusting your partner is common sense, so why did the president have to teach her that?  nakajima knew that if he ever wanted more answers, it would have to come either from her or from dazai.

  a simple thing such as trusting your partner is common sense, so why did the president have to teach her that?  nakajima knew that if he ever wanted more answers, it would have to come either from her or from dazai