Regulus

Regulus POV

I closed the door as I said goodbye to my brother. He was leaving for England.

I walked back to my library and got back to my books. I had finished the school year a week prior but with my father ill and my brother gone, I was practically head of the empire.

My schedule was packed all through vacation and sure my friends would say I should enjoy this power while I have it since I never will again, but I just never wanted it.

I sat in the back of my library on a couch near the open window. I enjoyed my few moments of quiet reading before Delphine, my governess, came and interrupt me. She warned me my mother was looking for me which instantly made me panic.

I put my book down on a table and walked out the library with her. We found my mother and I was quickly beaten.

I would later find out the reason my mother was in that mood was because my father's doctor had been late to his appointment. So not my fault whatsoever.

I was hit, smacked and kicked to the ground by my mother before she threw me against the wall and I passed out.

I woke up in my room with Delphine wrapping my wounds. She was very good at it since she had been doing it since I was 4 years old.

"And there. All done" she said with a smile before standing up.

"Can I get you anything?"

"Some tea maybe" I replied.

"Sure thing" she said before exiting the room.

The following few days followed the same pattern. Sometimes the beating wouldn't be as bad but often it just got worse.

I got a letter from Sirius but my mother shred it in front of my eyes. I thankfully was able to collect all the pieces and tried fixing it.

Everything was starting to feel normal until mid August.

I was woken up in the middle of the night by Delphine. She brought me to my father and the sight scared me.

He was hooked up to planks of wood and different colored liquids were entering his body. He was extremely pale and had blood stains everywhere.

"He will be gone by morning. Please say your final goodbye." The doctor explained.

"Regulus, my dear boy, come here" i stepped forward to the table and looked down at him, tears starting to pool in my eyes.

He reach out his hand and grabbed mine. I held onto him tightly.

"Take care of your mother and your brother for me please. The world will be dependent of you now my boy. Take our empire far, proudly. I'll be protecting you from up there. Now don't cry, son. It's my time to go. Thank you for being good. I'm so glad to have been blessed with a son like you. Please tell Sirius goodbye from me and that I have faith in his abilities to make this a better place. Tell your mother i love her. Tell yourself that you're worth it. I love you Regulus. Now it's time to let me go" he spoke while I silently cried.

"I love you too father" I said collapsing to the ground and hugging him.

He started to choke and cough. I was quickly lifted up and carried out of the room. I cried loudly.

Delphine wrapped her arms around me and held me down while I fell to the ground crying.

She brought me back to my room and put me in bed. She held me tightly till I fell asleep.

The next day I wrote to Sirius. I managed to get all my appointments pushed back to another day and spent the day in the library staring out the window and remembering memories of my father.

My father wasn't a good or honest man, far from it. But he did care about his family in a way. He made sure we had the best assistants and made sure we were well educated and occupied.

I, unlike Sirius, have some positive memories of my father. Like the time mother was pregnant and the four of us went walking in the park. Sirius was running around in the woods and I was too young and held onto my fathers fingers with my small hands.

He lifted me up onto his shoulders and ran after Sirius till he fell into a puddle of water and my father but me back down to help Sirius up.

Sometimes I wonder if mother hadn't had a miscarriage if maybe, just maybe, she would be a good person.

She used to be happy and positive and loved father.  But now she was glad he was gone and that she held more power and wealth.

A few days later I was getting ready for bed after my bath when Sirius' governess came into my room.

Sirius was back!

I walked out to find him but when I entered his room I was met with two unfamiliar faces.

I asked where Sirius was but they seemed too stupid to answer so I just stood there awkwardly. 'these are definitely Sirius' friends' I thought to myself.

I was about to leave when the handsome one out of the two spoke up with a heavy accent.

He explained he had left with Madeleine and I thanked him before going to the dressing room.

I found Sirius there and walked up to him.

"Sirius!" I said smiling as I walked to him.

"Oh Regulus! I missed you little brother" he said before hugging me.

"I'm sorry about mother and father. I shouldn't have left with him in that state. I'm so sorry Regulus, please forgive me"

"Of course I forgive you, you're the king after all and I'm trying to keep my head." I laughed.

He smiled and walked back up onto his stool and got his last measurements.

"I want to introduce you to my friends. They've come back with me from England. One doesn't speak french so please speak English with him" he explained stepping off the stool and heading to the door.

"This way" he smiled and I followed him to his room.