19|| Pen

On her way to the classroom, Iris's phone buzzed. She slipped it out of her pocket and swiped away the notifications of the first three texts from Jax, too mentally exhausted to deal with it. Her thumb paused on the fourth message, her brows knitting together.

Unknown:

We need to talk

Now

Her first instinct was to dismiss this as a stupid prank- perhaps from one of her enemies- but then her mind forced her to slow down and stop. Although many people would have reason to want to meet her alone, not one of them would have access to her number.

Iris rolled her bottom lip between her teeth and opened the message. She stopped and leaned against a row of lockers, ignoring the bustle of students as they brushed past her. Her fingers hovered over the keyboard, unsure what to type- or if she should respond.

Unknown:

It's me Alex

Let's talk Rainbow

Meet me me by the back gate after school

Iris flinched and clicked on the contact name, pressing down on the 'Block' button. She deleted the conversation and put her phone away, shaking her head. I don't have time for this.

"Hey!" A slight pressure appeared on her bag, and a familiar green-eyed demon came into her line of vision. "How are you faring? Y'know after the..." He gave a few awkward gestures to her stomach.

"I'm fine now. However, you were wrong about Harry being angry."

"Oh really?" James swivelled around and started walking backwards.

"Yeah. He wasn't mad- he was disappointed."

"Ooh." He sucked in a sharp breath and winced. "Somehow, that's even worse."

"You're telling me." She scoffed, climbing up the stairs and fighting the incoming wave of children trying to find their next lesson. "What've you got next?"

"Chemistry. You?"

"Biology. How about we meet and catch up later?" Iris gave a wicked grin. "Maybe I'll invite a certain brunette to join–"

"Finish that sentence and I will throw you off this balcony." James's serene smile remained plastered on his face, and Iris knew he wasn't joking.

However, as Iris pushed open the door, she knew her day was about to get a lot worse.

Alex's face split open in a wide beam and he waved over to the final empty seat beside him. "Hi Iris!"

"Nope," she declared, attempting to back out.

Unfortunately, the teacher had materialised behind her and pushed Iris in front with a laugh and some flat joke about her trying to escape. With a laugh faker than plastic, Iris dragged her feet over to the desk and plonked her bag by her feet, leaning away from her second least favourite person in the world.

"Hey," he whispered, emerald eyes glittering with delight. "I'm so glad that–"

"Do not speak to me," Iris ordered, pulling out her battered pencil case and tattered notebook.

She started writing out the date and title, but swore as her pen ran out. She tried the second, third, and even the fourth pen but they were all deader than her soul. Iris felt like she could tear her hair out in frustration when a tap on her shoulder drew her attention away.

"What?" She hissed like a cornered animal with gnashing teeth.

Alex handed over a black biro with a sticky note attached that read: You said not to talk but I thought you could use one of these :)

Iris glared at the offending tool of education as if it was coated in rat poison. She crumpled the note and flicked it back to him, noting with satisfaction how it hit his nose.

It was around halfway through the lesson when the first wave of nausea crashed over her. Iris clamped her fingers over her mouth and bit her bottom lip, swallowing back the acrid bile. She froze as the teacher continued to talk about the nervous system, hands slacking midway a sentence.

"Now who can answer question number four? Let's see..." The teacher's beady eyes scanned the room for her next victim. "Ah, Iris! Can you offer an answer?"

"Uh..." Iris snapped her head up and stared at the board.

The words blurred and mashed together, forming squiggly black lines that refused to unscramble. I know this answer. Why can't I speak? I don't understand. Everyone's staring at me. What do I do–

Alex let out a yelp and jumped out of his seat, shaking water from his hands. Water pooled over his notebooks, soaking through the pages and causing the title to bleed colourful bands.

"I'm so sorry!" He cried out, face flushed with embarrassment as he tried to soak up as much as possible with his hoodie. "Please can I go to the toilet to clean up, Miss Klenson?"

She gave a wearied nod as the class erupted into chatter at the slightest bit of chaos.

"And can Iris help me, please? It'll be easier and I think some of her stuff got wet too."

"Yes, yes." Miss Klenson waved them out, trying to bring back order, the questions on the board long-forgotten.

Outside, Iris felt a sense of awkwardness she'd never experienced before. It was a strange cocktail of sensations- anger at Alex for him leaving, grateful for his intervention, but most of all, a fear that she'd found her best friend only for him to be taken away again.

But her pride demanded that she speak up. Iris cleared her throat and pushed her hands deep into her pockets, feeling the crinkle of old sweet wrappers brush against her fingers. "Hey, um, thanks for that."

Alex's lip tugged up in a half-smile. "I have no idea what you're talking about. I was simply a clumsy fool and–"

"Alex." Iris pulled on his sleeve and stopped him in his tracks. She backed away as if he'd burned her. "Just take the thanks, Lykois."

*********************

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)