chapter fifteen

Making up for his mistakes was not easy for Loki. He was used to making mistakes, but had no experience in mending the wounds of others, as he often took pure pleasure in causing them. But not this time.

No one seemed to trust him anymore, and as much as he was used to it, this time hurt far more than the others.

His soulmate's friends were always on the alert. Whatever Loki did, they were ready to attack at the most opportune moment. Lola felt pure animosity towards him. No longer for disappearing, because she understood the situation, but for trying to kill her boyfriend during a fit of madness, and frankly Loki understood her.

"It doesn't matter that she is happy now," Lola had once told him, in a venomous tone and in a rage. The girl's eyes were on fire. For a Midgardian, she was certainly more awe-inspiring than he had imagined. "Of course, it reassures me. But at the next misstep I'm going to blurt out the whole truth about you and your brother. Then you'll have to deal with it."

Thor had returned to their own dimension, saying that he would have to explain himself to the Avengers and that they deserved to know how things were going under the circumstances.
Although he would never admit it out loud, knowing he was away displeased Loki, who had hoped to have him by his side at such a difficult time.

Even when everyone was against him, save for a few special occasions where Loki had taught him a lesson, Thor had never turned his back on him. Sure, sometimes he'd acted like any annoying brother would, but Thor was there. He always seemed to want to find the bright side of things. And he had found the light in Loki, who had very little light.

When his soulmate was not around because she was busy with her studies or projects, Loki wandered around the city incognito. He did this to clear his thoughts, to free his mind. It never had spectacular results, but at least it served to keep him from grabbing any Midgardian by the neck and throwing him into the air.

Other times he would stay in her room, playing with his magic until he decided he'd had enough and make a book appear in his hands with a snap of his fingers, devouring it in a second.

Just like that day. She had just returned home, throwing her backpack against the floor with obvious anger, a tired and frustrated expression on her face.

Loki was lying on the bed, legs crossed and still wearing one of his many black suits, flipping through the pages of the Midgardian literature book he'd stumbled across while snooping around some library.

When she returned, he looked at her with a raised eyebrow. The negative vibrations he could feel coming from her were beginning to give him a headache.

"What's wrong?" the God asked, causing the book to dematerialise as he sat on the edge of the bed.

The girl didn't answer, tidying up all the school supplies on the desk and in the bookcase. Loki sighed. "Are you going to answer?"

"Please," she suddenly interrupted him, turning away. At that moment, Loki studied her expression, and it was more than clear that more had happened than he could even imagine. "I've had a bad day. And I don't feel well."

"Can I help you?"

"Can your magic fix my school career?" she had exclaimed, sitting down beside him on the edge of the bed. She brought her hands to the sides of her head, shaking it. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take it out on you."

"I don't think you need to apologise to me," Loki had whispered, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "I suppose I do have a certain reputation for picking on the wrong people at the wrong times, don't I?"

That was probably the first laugh Loki had managed to wring from the lips of his soulmate, who now stood with her head against his chest, giggling under her breath.