chapter one

"And we had a long talk, he revealed to me that he is planning to visit me. I mean, a real surprise for me, can you believe it?", admits your friend excitedly, carrying her hands around her face, which had taken on a very strong and evident red colour, which testifies to how much the whole soulmate thing had gone to her head.

The situation was quite simple, but at the same time complex: we all have a soulmate. At some point in our lives, they should reveal themselves to us, simply by talking. We don't know their names, their faces, but only their voices. This is how we know the person with whom we are destined to spend the rest of our lives.

And yet, it happened to everyone, but not to you. At the school canteen table, around you, the girls and boys talk about their halves, about how maybe some had already had the opportunity to meet them.

Since there is no way you can enter into the conversation, no matter how much your friends try to know something, asking you questions that you would not have been able to answer without having had the opportunity to talk to your soulmate, you prefer to dissociate yourself. You keep reading the book you bought a few days ago, based on Norse mythology and who else but Loki. Not that you were a believer in religion under any circumstances, but the interest was born purely from the millions of stories you had seen thanks to the Marvel films, which have always been one of your greatest passions. Whether it was TV series, comics, books or movies, you were always willing to devote your time to the world of superheroes as long as you can remember.

Page after page, you read about what happened to Ragnarok, about how Loki simply wanted to make it clear that he was not a monster like many people drew him, that the only way he could make his voice prevail over others was, even though he was part of the family of the Father of the Gods, by committing mischief.

To interrupt your immersion between pages of myths, tales and magic is the one who never stopped talking about her man. She claps her fingers on your shoulder, trying to peek at the pages, only to ask you "What are you reading?".

You close the book, to show her the green cover on which there is a large golden inscription quoting "Loki: the myth of Ragnarok", making her immediately roll her eyes to the sky. Immediately afterwards, however, you both burst out in a loud laughter.

"I thought it was something much more interesting," she says, taking the book out of your hands so that she could leaf through it quickly, carelessly. "How many strange drawings."

"It's interesting to me, what's wrong with it?", you take the book back quickly, so you can put it in your backpack, away from her clutches.

"Join in the conversation instead of being alienated all the time!", she takes you back, in a maternal way, but you don't like it in any way. She holds an eyebrow up and looks at you, nodding her head towards the group of people who pay no attention to you.

"I don't understand why you have to be so rude. You know I don't have anything to say about it", you murmur to her, narrow teeth, before you can leave the table and head for your class.

The rest of the school day proceeds very slowly but quietly at the same time. Going home was a relief. You had planned, with your family, a movie night like so many others, the only difference being that it was up to you to choose what to watch for that time - and you didn't miss a chance to immediately choose the first Avengers movie, probably one of your favourites.

It was fun watching it all together, no matter how much you had to listen to the complaints of those who just couldn't stand Tony's superiority complexes, how boring those aliens were or how bad Loki had been and deserved such punishment.

It was an excellent debate. There were those who wanted to judge him, and those who, like you, knowing the rest of the filmography and the story, tried to make others understand that he would actually become a very good character, despite all the fake deaths and everything else about the God of Mischief. After all, it's easy to understand how conflicted he can be as a character, and how much he can be within the reach of very few people.