chapter fourteen

He was moving fast steps. He didn't even know where he was really going, running from one side of the city to the other, but one thing was certain: he was attracted to something, someone. His body seemed to move automatically, pulling him towards the source of that strange attraction.

He could not see clearly. In front of his pupils everything was dark, blurred. He sensed the presence of his brother at his side, but he could not even pay the slightest bit of attention to him. Not because he didn't want to, but he wasn't in full control of his body.

That vision had triggered something in Loki, who by now hadn't even realised that he had managed to open a portal without a problem, and had put in weeks of recovery and hard work in the blink of an eye. A great achievement, gone up in smoke because of anger.

Before he could realise it, his legs dragged him in front of that big building.

He could see the imposing white marble structure from a distance, emerging from a large tree-lined avenue. On the way he kept hitting people with his shoulders, some pretending not to notice and others shouting at him. If only they had known that after a second they would have found themselves knocked to the ground by a mere glance from Loki.

Thor took care to apologize to everyone and pick up anyone who had been affected by his brother's magic. They couldn't see the beam of green light leave the god's body and surround the Midgardians, but he could, and each time it seemed to hurt more and more.

Loki's visual range began to become clearer as he approached the palace.

Not a single second seemed to have passed since what he had seen in his vision: The thin layer of snow covered the stairs, and a boy with long curls exclaimed something incomprehensible with his arms wide open, making his way towards two girls, sitting next to each other.

Thor struggled to understand what was going on, but when his gaze fell on the scene of the man making his way between the two girls, everything seemed clearer. And his instincts told him to do only one thing.

He began to run. And he started running because Loki didn't seem to have any intention of stopping. He did so to position his body in front of his brother's, who placed his hands on his chest to kick him away.

"Stop it."

"Get out of the way, Thor. I'm not afraid to do to you what I did to those ridiculous beings before," he had muttered through clenched teeth, keeping his gaze fixed on that scene.

"What do you think you're doing?" he had exclaimed in a low voice, moving his gaze from his brother's face to that of the girl clutched in the man's arms. "He's a human, what do you want to do?"

"Solve the problem?"

Thor laughed. "Not like that."

"I think I'm old enough and mature enough to know how to deal with problems," Loki had judged.

Thor laughed again.

"I'm not going to say it again. Get out of my way, Thor."

Thor wished he had reasoned. He would have liked to prevent any catastrophe. He would have liked to avoid detection, to avoid someone witnessing an unpleasant event. But he didn't even have time to think straight.

Loki seemed to dematerialise. As Thor spoke, asking him to come to his senses, a second version of himself quickly emerged from his body and began running towards the stairs of the palace.

Everything happened in an instant. No one had time to realise what was really going on, as Loki grabbed the boy by the collar of his shirt, pulling him to his feet in a second.