chapter twelve

Recovering his powers and his magic was more exhausting than one could even imagine.
They spent whole days locked up in that laboratory, hidden away as if they were sought after by who knows what great power. It seemed that whoever was on Steve Rogers' side didn't realise anything, or simply pretended not to suspect, to avoid creating a feud.

Weeks later, Loki still couldn't realise how much commitment and dedication was being put into his cause by those who, until a few years ago, believed him to be their bitter enemy. And perhaps they were not wrong. And yet, everything had changed.

He continued to write his letters, which seemed to get sadder and sadder as the days went by. Perhaps, they were turning into a kind of diary, where each time he described in detail what he had experienced during the experiments, as if he felt like a lab rat. Although, it was more than clear, that whoever was on that project had the sole goal of saving Loki's powers, so that they could thank him and Thor - but mostly him, for fighting against his own sister, for not losing his mind in staying so far away from Asgard for months and all that had come with it, like risking his life for the well-being of the Avengers and Midgard, which until a few years ago he had wanted to blow up or subdue.

December was just around the corner. From the large window of the laboratory Loki could see the snow falling on the city, slow and gentle, and sometimes he would stand there for hours watching the buildings from above, wondering what it would be like to do it next to his half.

No one asked too invasive questions. Tony didn't seem to have time, Bruce was too scared. Stephen had no interest in other people's feelings, Thor knew how delicate the subject could be. The raccoon and the tree preferred to talk to each other. Only one had the courage to take a few steps forward.

The spider child, or the one who had introduced himself under the name Peter Parker, seemed to take a lot of interest in him. Why this was not clear to Loki, but he began to think that it was probably only because of his young age, and that although he was part of the largest group of superheroes in their reality, he really couldn't understand how much harm Loki had inflicted on people for the sake of causing damage. At least, until some time ago.

He had approached him a few days earlier, a bit hesitant and awkward. He was wearing a sweatshirt with "Stark Industries" on it in large sizes, with the hood down on his head and the backpack on his shoulder. If Loki had seen him on the street, he certainly wouldn't have said he was Spider-Man. No one could have ever imagined it.

He had sat next to him, on the leather sofa in front of the window, and after clearing his voice, he raised his hand. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Loki. I am Spider-Man - I mean, Peter. Peter Parker."

Loki had just laughed, too tired to process a sharp, ironic answer. That half smile seemed to relax the little boy, who shook his hand hard when Loki said, "Loki, Loki Odinson."

The rest of the time they spent sitting next to each other, in silence, contemplating the snow melting against the glass. Though weak and without strength, Loki could perceive the flow of his thoughts, which were too fast and noisy. He knew he would want to fill him with questions. So, after sighing, he simply said to him, "I would rather hear you say that than think. Ask me whatever you want."

Peter opened his eyes wide, probably because he didn't expect Loki to do that too. But after he squeezed himself in the sweatshirt, he frowned. "I came here to help Mr Stark and Mr Banner. They explained to me... Yes, well, they told me that you're not like that, generally. Does it hurt that much to lose your powers?"

"Oh," Loki just laughed, shaking his head. "It's like dying slowly. I don't think I've ever suffered like that, physically speaking. But psychologically at the same time."