chapter three

Things between you and your soulmate began to get better and better. You two talked every day, in your free moments. He made strange references to missions and commitments, but you didn't pay much attention to them. Also because, however, he didn't seem to be inclined to give more detailed explanations and for the moment you thought it was fine.

Only then did you begin to understand why all that foment your friends felt every time they talked about their soulmate. An indescribable feeling seems to take over your stomach every time you two start talking.
They were beautiful sensations. Of comfort, affection, feelings that unleash thousands of butterflies inside your chest.

You had a lot in common. Both of you with a very large library, you had managed in one way or another to agree on book titles to read together, however difficult it was to keep up with him who seemed to devour one in a few moments - he said that this was how he spent most of his free time, immersing himself in the knowledge and study of everything he had not yet been able to see with his own eyes.

"Wait, I'm lost again! Sorry... What's the page?", you tell him, holding the book in your hands. He's really too fast for you.

"142", he answers in a tired tone. You know he's joking, so you burst into innocent laughter.

"Thank you", you murmur to him, turning the page immediately. You promise yourself that you will never lose your mark again and that you will never interrupt the reading of that book again. That promise turns out to be false, but it's certainly not your fault if he can read ten pages in half the time you take to read at least five.

Other times, you talked about more or less. More varied and funny things. While you told him about what happened in your childhood, he listened and laughed smugly. However, he did not seem inclined to talk about his own. He said he had very few happy memories of it, and that he preferred to keep them private for the only reason he was morbidly attached to it. An affection and love that he had not felt for many, many years.

"Did I ever tell you about that time when I was a little girl...", you start the speech, between one laugh and another.

It immediately interrupts you. "There she goes again with that story about ballet class."

You shake your head, almost embarrassed. But when he starts laughing, you join in. "Already told you that, okay...".

Of course, you shouldn't be surprised when you have been chosen for each other for a very specific reason, and destiny is never wrong. In any way. But, at the same time, it is always surprising and interesting.
Day after day, you convince yourself that you could not have asked for better, although you still know little about him.

You think about it while you are in your room, sitting at your desk, with your face facing the mirror. You are preparing for a short meeting with your friends, a chat and a bit of company, and while you are putting on your make-up you don't seem to want to let yourself concentrate. So, you choose to drop the bomb.

"So... You never told me your name", you hum, in a falsely naive tone, holding a brush tightly in your hands.

"Isn't soulmate enough?", he replies immediately.

"But I've told you mine", you tell him, giggling.

And ready to receive an answer, you are interrupted by a third, strangely familiar voice that you cannot immediately identify. "Is that her again?".

"What was that?" you ask, confused. There had never been an interruption in your conversations, as he was always talking about how he was constantly alone.

From his side comes a lament. "My brother", he seems to say, with tight teeth.

"Your brother?" you keep asking. "Can I at least know his name?".