chapter two

He never liked taking part in royal ceremonies. Probably because he wasn't the centre of attention of anyone who was sent there, or maybe because he couldn't pretend in any way that he liked to be with people who would laugh at even the stupidest of what his brother Thor said - also because, to be honest, he said so many of them in just five minutes, so many that Loki wouldn't be able to count them on his own fingers.

Unfortunately, however, it was part of his duties. He could not have shirked such a task, and offend the honour of his family name, however little he could cared about Odin. As prince of the kingdom, he still had to make himself present in the eyes of his people, and so he did.

Certainly, he would only sit in his gold chair with a glass of brandy in his hands, which he would occasionally fill with his magic for the sheer pleasure of facing ceremonies in a different way. But at least, he did.

Loki looks around, trying in every way to hide his disgust and annoyance, which was quite difficult for him because he was aware of how badly he was at hiding such feelings. It was in his nature, after all, to show superiority to everyone around him.

Focusing on the celebrations and conversations began to be difficult when a voice in his mind began to become louder and louder, more and more evident. And he realised that it was not just hallucinations when the words became clearer and clearer.

"And we started fighting over some stupid fictional characters, can you believe it?" she said. He could hear her laughter, light and overwhelming, as he took the glass to his mouth to steal a sip.

Undoubtedly, an excellent excuse to run away from that horrible party. He gets up in a snap, muttering a "You must excuse me, I'll be back in a hurry" to his brother, who with a nod and a smile not even addressed to him greets him. Loki turns his eyes to the sky. How stupid.

The buzzing in his head is starting to get louder and louder. It is still unclear to him how it was possible that she could make herself heard even if she didn't want to, since Loki had not been able to communicate with her, and yet he chose to take advantage of the moment.

As he walks the long corridors of the castle, heading towards the gardens in search of some peace and quiet, he can hear a loud "It's amazing how everything has to revolve around superheroes for you", which certainly didn't come from his soulmate.

"Here she is...", he murmurs, as he takes his place on the steps of the large glass door that overlooks a huge and luxurious garden, lit only and only by the splendid moon high in the sky.

The unexpected happened. His soul mate did not delay in answering. "Did you hear that?", and consequently whoever was with her said, "Heard what?".

He couldn't help but burst into a noisy laughter. Relieved? Probably. Smug? Even more so. "I'm afraid they can't hear me," he says, trying to hold back the laughter and hoping in his heart that it would work and that it wasn't just a stupid coincidence. But luckily for him, she announced to her companions that she would be away for a while to 'take a call'. What this meant was unclear to Loki, but it was easy to deduce that she was trying to communicate with him.

He turns the glass half empty in his hands. It takes him less than a moment and a snap of his fingers to see it shine an almost blinding green light, and wine starts pouring itself into the glass.

"So, who are you?" she says.

As simple as the question was, those four words managed to leave Loki speechless. Going over everything he had been able to hear in the last few days, it came to him that he could not reveal his identity to her. Not yet, at least. Even if sooner or later he would have to.