chapter four

Finding something about the soul mate problem was not at all easy, on the contrary, it turned out to be more complicated than you two could imagine. You and Lola found yourselves devouring piles of books looking for real answers, for days and days, without closing your eyes. She was more than willing to help you, although this included spending whole days and nights reading manuals with incredible words and things that didn't even come close to your problem. But she was there. And for that you were grateful.

You and Loki hadn't spoken for days. Sometimes you could hear him confess to Thor about how sorry he was for ruining everything, and your heart was clutching, but you couldn't let his words distract you. You had a mission to accomplish, and as much as it might have helped you to receive a few words of comfort from him, it just didn't seem appropriate. Better not to spoil the balance again. And he probably didn't even do it intentionally, since you couldn't hear the whole speech, but only little pieces that moved you every time.

Lola used to say every time she would like to eavesdrop to understand. You laughed together, but it didn't last long, before a veil of sadness could fall on your face again. Before that, it was difficult to explain the whole situation to her and try to make her understand that you were not kidding at all. She, too, thought it might have been just a stupid joke by the other person, but you were both willing to try until the end.
And together you found the right answers. One book, in particular, talked about how it was possible to be connected to people who lived in an alternative reality, how rare the cases were and how tragically such stories ended, as it was mostly impossible to meet.

Lola reads the words out loud. "In ninety percent of the cases, those connected to people belonging to an alternative reality simply opted to abandon the idea of being able to approach it, living alone or joining other people living the same situation, and...",

"Lola, please", you interrupt, bringing your hands to your face. A sigh leaves your mouth.

Your friend closes the book, giving you a worried look. It is not easy to think that, most likely, her best friend would never have been able to meet the love of her life as everyone else around her was doing. She sighs, and after placing the book on the desk in your room, she sits next to you.

"I know what you're going to say", you go on again, not feeling able to face such a speech at all. It's amazing how, of all the opportunities there could have been, the worst one had happened to you. "I don't even know what to think."

She shrugs her shoulders, before placing a hand against your back, giving you small caresses in an attempt to comfort you, however absurd reality might be. "Trying doesn't hurt", she starts by biting her lip. "I mean... We are talking about a God. You know a lot more about him than I do, don't you? I don't think that can stop you."

Still, she had a point. You straighten up in a second, looking at her. You shake your head and, "You're a genius," you whisper to her before you throw your arms around her neck.

Lola backs down for a moment, not understanding the situation, but then she hugs you back and laughs. "I don't know what I did, but you're welcome," she says.

Talking to Loki would have helped, right? He certainly could have known more. With his knowledge, with his powers... It could have worked. Of course, the books didn't specify how to meet a God, a friend of superheroes, but never say never... Right? Maybe clinging to that last drop of hope that lies within you is the right move. As disappointing as the information found in the books may be. They talked about ninety percent, so there's still a ten percent chance to test.

Lola returned to her house a few hours later, and before she left, she had told you to stay calm and explain the whole situation to him, which Loki would understand and that there would be no problems.
And yet, when you lie in bed again, looking up at the ceiling, your stomach starts to groan and you feel in your heart that maybe he might take it badly. You are a bit scared, to be honest. But he had to know the whole truth. You had to face it together.