This is A Trap.

Maelys's POV.

Days have passed, and our journey continued to track down Validar and retrieve the Emblem back. Plans have been set in place, scouts sent out, and training was nearly nonstop, even as we marched, the others would spar while walking just to keep their reflexes sharp. We had to be the best we could.

When we met my father again, hopefully it would be the last time and all of this would be over.

So far we hadn't met any resistance,

But in times like these, peace was short lived.

"Risen attack!" my attention snaps to the man, we had sent him out, along with four others to scout our next 5 miles, yesterday evening under the camouflage of night.

He was the only one left.

"Maelys?" Nah, who was Nowi's daughter had taken a liking to me and I was teaching her the ways of using a sword, instead of having to morph into a dragon all the time. She had expressed concern on how large she gets, and how easy of a target she was, so I offered to show her a way to be more inconspicuous, then use her dragon might to take out the enemy.

I nod at her, "We will continue at a later date," I say kindly. She was a sweet young woman, normal in every way. I couldn't imagine how she became so mature with Nowi and Henry as her parents.

By now, the scout is frantic. "Where is Chrom? Where is our commander?" he's shouting, and I take initiative, stepping in front of him.

"Friend, calm and speak slowly, I have no doubt he's on his way. You're loud enough to alert the whole country side."

His response was collapsing to his knees, I go down with him, supporting his head up. I can't have him dying without that report!

It sounds insensitive. It would be terrible if he died, but it would be worse if he didn't give us the information. That was his life, he was tasked with being quick. He knew his role.

"I need a healer!" I yell at the gawking faces, the only one I recognize who can use staves is Brady. "Brady, come here."

"Me? Ma'am, I haven't  healed people that much in this lifetime, do ya expect me to save a man's life?"

Of course I would find myself in the ranks of nameless soldiers from Ylisse, sent with us only because the royal officials thought it safer. They were skilled to defend our main deploy of fighters, but that was it.

I gaze down in the bloodied face of the scout, I believe his name was Salander. One of our best. There must have been a terrible fight..

"This man is dying, get down here now and at least instruct me what you know!"

Brady nervously squats next to me, "I aren't too sure, but make sure he don't close his eyes. Gotta check for any other injuries." he starts moving his hands down the man's body, examining for any open cuts.

I steady the man's head up on my leg, his dilated eyes stare up into my face as he fights for breath, "Just slow down, you're okay. Can you tell me what happened?" I ask softly.

He winces as Brady lifts the shirt up, and I catch a glimpse of a couple gaping holes clearly done by arrows on the side of his chest. The man had somehow stuffed someone else's shirt into the open areas and it was soaked through with his own blood.

"Salander, it's alright, you'll be fine." the sweats break out on his forehead, probably from the air reaching the raw area.

"You know my name." he whispers.