Chapter Twenty-One: Breathe

Rose

Clemmy tossed me the extra suit, and I scurried behind the dressing screen in the corner while my grandmother urged me to hurry. Only my aching head saved my tongue from foolishly snapping at her, though I eyed the garment with some trepidation as I slipped out of my clothes. There was no way on earth anyone could pull material that tight over their body with any kind of speed.

Or so I thought. It slid up my legs and over my hips buttery smooth, and my arms glided through the sleeves without a single snag. It had either been tailored to fit me perfectly or the material was magic- maybe both.

"Rose," Willow called out, the single syllable of my name a trembling note that hung in the air. "We really have to go."

"I'm almost done," I replied, tugging up the zipper.

Water sloshed around my ankles as I stepped back into view, and the cracks in the glass were no longer spider-web thin. In some places, entire chunks of glass were missing, creating gaping holes that allowed the water to pour in. The sight of the frothing falls plunging into the rising water below made my stomach churn, reminding me it had been barely an hour since I'd escaped a hell hole similar to this one.

Escape might be too strong a word. The prison followed me even now as I limped across the room. I was not physically trapped in the cage anymore, but the prison followed me, its effects lingering in my muscles and bones.

"Alright," Clemmy said when I rejoined them. She rubbed her hands together but her eyes remained fixed on me as she continued. "A simple air spell should be enough to get Willow and Ash to the surface. We aren't very deep, but you must make sure you rise to the top slowly, even though your mind will tell you to hurry."

"One problem," Malphas said, his silver eyes glittering with annoyance, "I'm a little handicapped in the magic department right now."

"Sounds like an asshole problem to me," Willow grumbled, earning a smothered giggle from my sister.

I wanted to laugh too because it served the sorcerer right for taking what didn't belong to him, but he wasn't just carrying himself to the surface, he was carrying Ash. Then, as if my thoughts conjured him, the silver light dimmed, then disappeared, leaving the warm, velvet brown I loved so much.

"Ash," I shouted, launching myself at him without questioning whether this was a trick. His arms went around my waist like an iron band, and he pressed his nose into the crook of my neck as I ran my fingers through his hair.

"H-how?" Willow asked, tugging on my shoulder so she could steal a hug from her cousin. "It's really you. I feel it."

"Not for long," Ash admitted, his fingers threading through mine. "He relinquished his grip long enough to let me get us to the surface.

"I'm sorry," I blathered. "I'm so sorry. This is my fault because I broke the locket."

"Hey," Ash said, grabbing my chin to stop my shaking head. "He's the Great Deceiver for a reason. Neither of us suspected this is what would happen. We're going to figure this out. He's not what he-"

"Enough," Clemmy said as the wall behind us groaned just before the entire center crumbled, allowing the ocean to rush in unimpeded. "Spells now and surface slowly. The guards will be right behind us once they realize what has happened to this room."

"Caulemi," Willow and Ash said together, as we were all forced to swim.

"Wait," I said, the word nothing more than a bubble as everyone headed for the hole in the wall.

Panic took hold. The suit protected against pressure and helped me swim, but what about breathing? I darted toward my sister and Clemmy, only to find my grandmother sporting a tail, its scales shiny and pink, like the inside of a conch shell. Caly had no head covering, and I had not heard her speak a spell, but she didn't look pained or frightened as she kicked smoothly upward.