Chapter Twenty-Two: Unexpected Help

Ash

"Don't get used to this. Your time is limited."

Ash heard those words right before he was pushed into the driver's seat of his body again. Like before, the moment was jarring. The world tilted and the content of his stomach threatened to journey upward, but it wasn't all that different from teleporting. That's what he told himself as he gathered his bearings and assessed the dire situation before him.

"Thought you were an expert in hand to hand combat," Ash teased Malphas as he opened himself to the magic he restricted from the sorcerer. It felt good to be in control and to experience the fiery buzz in his veins again.

"I'm happy to switch back," Malphas growled. The opening of the bond between them meant they could now communicate freely, though Malphas had quickly proved adept at silencing Ash's shouts and curses. "But I thought Rose might feel more confident in this battle with you at her side."

Ash flicked a glance at Rose, hoping the shock he felt over the sorcerer's rare display of humanity wasn't mistaken for panic, but she wasn't looking at him. Her dark brown eyes were latched onto the horizon where a tempest brewed as monsters boiled out of the ocean.

"Our best option is to slow them down," Okea announced, twirling the wicked blade she'd fashioned from a scale in the air. She looked less like a teenage girl now and more like a warrior queen- something ancient and primal taking over her expressions and movements as she stalked down the beach.

"What good will that do us?" Caly demanded. "We will have nowhere to go."

Clemmy snapped at her eldest grandchild. "They will not follow us to the mountain. If we can slow them enough to get a head start, we can get through the trees without a fight. Once we're on the other side, we're safe. Even King Atticus himself won't travel to the mountain."

"Why don't we run for it now?" Rose asked, the fear in her voice drawing Ash closer to her side. A frown twisted her lips when she caught his movement, but it turned into a glowing smile when she realized he wasn't Malphas.

"Because it is too easy to get separated in the trees, and four of the six of us have little to no training in magical combat. They'll pick us off one by one, and trust me, you do not want to be dragged back to the king. There are worse things than the Below."

Rose staggered as if her grandmother struck her. "I guess we're slowing them down."

"Boy," Clemmy said, looking at Ash now. Indecision wavered across her face, her different colored eyes narrowing before she drew in a deep breath and continued. "If things go south, you get her and you both run, do you understand?"

Ash couldn't see Malphas, but he knew the sorcerer was nodding in the affirmative as Ash replied, "Yes ma'am."

"But-"

"Enough, Rose," Okea said as she slapped the scale blade on her palm and then raised it to the sky.

The green lighting that had been arcing overhead jolted toward her, striking the tip of the blade and disappearing. Absorbed. The Atlantean girl whipped the scale in a wide swipe in front of her, driving the electrical current forward and into the first row of soldiers.

"She's a Tempestarii," Rose said with awe. "She's calling the storm."

The ground rumbled, and the trees behind them groaned. Ash stepped aside in time to avoid being impaled by one of the thick, flowering vines as it hurtled toward the troops. It snapped tight around six of the enemy, tying them in a circle and pulling them back below the waves. Willow dropped her hand and wiped her brow before winking at Ash.