Chapter Forty-Four: Problems for Tomorrow

Rose

"To you both I impart Self-Love," I said, holding up my hands and casting the spell the way Mama taught me. "To be true to one another, you have to be true to yourself."

I infused it into the rose quartz and smiled when the pale pink stone lit up. It was only a coincidence that the color of the gem I needed was the same as the bridesmaid dresses we wore, but I thought it was the prettiest of all the gems as Mama laid it on the altar between the bride and groom. I had expected Ivy to ask for a different charm, but my choice had delighted her.

A breeze rippled the ruffles of my sleeves as the officiant completed the handfasting ceremony. It was sweet and heady with the scent of flowers and rain, but most importantly, it offered relief from the humid, May heat. Spring was fleeting in the south and summer rarely waited its turn.

"May I introduce to you Mrs. and Mr. Hawthorne," the officiant called out as the bound couple turned to face their guests, the ribbons on their fastened arms turning silver and gold as they raised them in the air.

Everyone applauded, and my cheeks hurt from grinning as I followed the bride and groom down the aisle. From their seats, Daddy and Alma waved at me. Remy fluttered baby Eliza's hand up and down while she struggled against him, determined to shove the chunky fist into her slobbery mouth.

"Finally, we can eat something," Caly groaned as we walked into the banquet hall and were immediately assaulted by the scent of food and wine.

"Maybe your dress wouldn't fit so tight if you ate a little less," Harmony said, cleaning her bare feet with one of the damp cloths provided at the door. Witches never wore shoes when working in a circle outdoors.

"And maybe," Willow said, sliding under Caly's arms and pressing a kiss against my sister's lips before turning her attention back to Harmony, "You're such a bitch because you're hangry."

Harmony wiggled her pointer finger at Willow, but no one flinched, which only seemed to exasperate her even more. Gone were the days when she lorded over the rest of us like a queen. The Council had punished her for her participation in Luis' schemes, and the next time she put a toe out of line, they would bind her powers. Still, I didn't miss the twitch in her upper lip as she walked off.

"Was Harmony trying not to smile?" Ash asked. His powerful arms went around my waist and tugged me backwards until I was pressed against his solid chest.

"Miracles never cease," Caly said before tugging Willow out to the dance floor. They clung to one another, swaying and laughing even though no music yet played. Pale pink rose petals fell from the ceiling and swirled around them, turning to sparkles of gold when they touched the floor.

Ash nuzzled my ear, nipping at the soft shell with his teeth. "Are we as annoying as they are?"

"Yes."

Ash and I looked up into the rafters to see a raven watching us with a disapproving eye. He tilted his head toward the outside, and we excused ourselves through the influx of wedding guests pouring into the hall. With a quick glance to be sure no one was following us, we stepped around the back and found Malphas leaned against the building, sunglasses sitting low on his long nose.

Months had passed since we crawled- bloody and exhausted- from the omphalos, and it still shocked me to see Malphas in the flesh. And wearing modern clothes that hugged him in all the right places.

"I'm going to pretend like I don't see you drooling over him," Ash whispered, the teasing light in his eye letting me know he wasn't mad.

"You know my heart belongs to you." I winked at him.

Malphas rolled his eyes and shoved his glasses up his nose as he straightened. His blonde hair was shorter than before- much had to be cut off because of tangles, but the pieces that did not fit in the knot at the back of his head, hung around his face, stopping just below his chin. 

"Let her enjoy looking. Just because her heart settled, it doesn't mean her eyes have to."

"Okay, enough," I said, throwing my hands up between them before they ended up wrestling on the ground. Turns out no matter how strong the bond was between them, they still had a few issues they liked to work out physically now and then. "What did you find?"

Malphas sobered. "Queen Okea feels confident that all of Atticus' supporters have fled. Her soldiers are loyal and so are the people. No one has seen Atticus since that night."

Ash swallowed hard. "And my dad and sister?"

I squeezed Ash's hand. Luis and Jemina both fled shortly after we returned to Black Brier. There were less people in his pocket than we believed, but someone must have tipped him off that my mother and father were going to the Council. Someone helped him flee.

"Nothing, though I tracked his magical signature back to the island above the Below. After that, it disappears."

"That doesn't make any sense..." I stilled, a memory coming back to me. Luis had stared at the bottle that had once been Malphas' prison. "Malphas, the bottle you were kept in... Once you were released, did it lose its power?"

"No. It's still a portal. They all led to the same world, just different cages. I don't know, it's hard to explain." He shuddered. "And I prefer not to think about my time there."

"Could Luis benefit from that bottle in any way?"

Ash let loose a slew of curses that the former sorcerer echoed. When they calmed, Malphas pinched the bridge of his nose and nodded. "I should have told you to destroy it. If Luis gets access to that world, then he could release anyone imprisoned there."

I felt faint. "I don't suppose they're all misunderstood softies like you?" His glower told me everything I needed to know.

"Okay, okay," I finally said, taking Ash by the hand. Inside, the band had played. "That's tomorrow's problem. Tonight, I just want to dance. Malphas, are you coming?"

He shook his head. Only a few knew what he truly was, but he wasn't quite ready to trust another community- not after what his own people had done to him. But it was more than that- he didn't trust himself.

"Rose!"

"Mary Lauren," I said as a little girl barreled into me. Dirt smeared her cheeks, and the bottom of her dress was singed. "What happened to you?"

"Lilith-"

I frowned. Lilith Waldrop- the Headmistress's tyrant of a child- had moved onto torturing Mary Lauren after I graduated to advanced courses. I took far too much joy in the look on her face when I cast my first spell in front of the class. It was shameful really, but ten-year-olds were mean.

"Say no more. Lead me to her."

"Rose, you go on in. They'll be looking for you before too long. I'll help Mary Lauren."

Mary Lauren squeaked when she looked at Malphas, and her cheeks turned faintly pink. It would seem even the smallest females were not immune to his charms.

"It's okay," I told her. "This is Malphas, and he's one of the good guys."

"Let me tell you about a favorite spell of mine," Malphas began, taking her hand and walking toward the woods. "My enemy couldn't sit for days."

"Malphas, don't you dare," I called out as Ash laughed.

He winked. "I'm a monster, darling. There's very little I wouldn't dare."

A/N- For now, this is where I end it. I may have a few epilogues down the road, but it's time to do what my creative writing teach used to say and just let it "compost" before I start revisions.

I know a lot of you will be asking if there will be a third book and right now, the answer is yes! But I'm not sure when. I've got to finish some other projects before I can begin to think about it. Thank you so much for sticking with this story, even through the times when I wasn't updating regularly.

Lots of love! XOXO

**update as of 2/2/2022. If you want more Malphas and the Southern Charms characters, check out Malphas: A Southern Charms Novella!