Chapter Nine: Witch Map

Rose

"Impeccable timing as always," Ash grunted as we dragged Harmony over to the blanket.

A soft buttery glow formed around his hands as he ran them over her unconscious form. I was brought back to the night Harmony tricked us to get me to the Goodwin mansion, but there was nothing about what was happening now that seemed disingenuous. Harmony might excel at faking many things- like having a heart- but even she couldn't pretend to breathe so shallowly for so long.

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked, shocked by the genuine concern I felt for my sister. After everything she put our family through, it hurt my heart to see her so broken.

"The head injury isn't as bad as it looks. I can heal the broken skin, but she's going to have a hell of a headache," Ash explained. "I think she's exhausted and dehydrated."

The moment I knew she wasn't near death's door, I pushed her limp body with my toe. Not enough to bruise but enough to make her jiggle. I stuck my tongue out at the pinched look Ash tossed my way.

"What?" I snapped, folding my arms across my chest. "She's going to wish that her head wound was a lot worse when Mama and Daddy get a hold of her. She's basically a fugitive!"

"Rose," Ash cautioned, his hands splayed in the universal sign for 'hear me out.' It was going to be hard to hear anything over the roaring in my ears.

"Please don't."

"Harmony may be a lot of things, but an idiot isn't one of them. She came back for a reason."

It was my turn to pace now, and I did so much more aggressively than Ash had earlier. I slammed my feet into the ground with every step and lashed out at the low-hanging branches and leaves, enjoying the way they snapped and ripped in my hands. The locket at my throat seared my skin, and for the first time, the temptation to break it open and access my power was entirely of my making.

"Do you remember she came back for a reason last time? Maybe your dad has decided he doesn't want to wait until December. What if she's going to lure us back to your house and lock us up?"

"Why would she do that? We're not in hiding. My dad could have teleported here and taken us himself. There's nothing to gain by locking us up."

"Unless," my fevered brain searched for a way to blame my sister, "Unless they know we've figured out Malphas' secret. What if he's been listening in the woods?"

"You're reaching, Rosey."

"Fine," I admitted.

Shame and fear smothered the rage. I studied Harmony's pale face. Dark smudges hung beneath her eyes, and her normally clear, porcelain skin looked dry and patchy. Tangles snarled her once lustrous blonde hair, and she wore the outfit I last saw her in.

"Where have you been?" I whispered, dropping to my knees to brush the hair back from her face. "We should get her home to Mama."

Bony fingers clamped around my wrist, and Harmony sat up with a gasp, eliciting another scream from me while magic sparked from Ash's fingertips.

"No," Harmony said. "I can't go home with you. It's too dangerous. I only came to warn you."

"Warn us about what?" I demanded, snatching my arm free and rubbing at the sore spots. For her to be so weak, her grip was powerful. "Where have you been?"

"That isn't important. What is important is stopping Malphas."

Ash and I shared a look. While I believed Harmony never intended to get in so deep with Luis- or at least she didn't expect his plans to involve so much harm- she was firmly on the other team. Why would she be helping us?

"What do you think we've been trying to do, Harmony?" Ash snarled, helping me to my feet while glowering at the girl on the blanket.

"I know. I know. Luis laughs about your attempts to figure out how to stop him."

I snapped, "Not exactly helping your case here. Tell me why I shouldn't have Ash magically cuff you and send you home trussed up like a Thanksgiving turkey?"

Harmony reached inside her top and pulled out a sheet of paper. I frowned, pinching it between two fingers.

"Oh stop," my sister insisted, a bit of her old snarkiness in her tone.

"You literally could have put that anywhere else."

"Listen. I don't have a lot of time. This is a witch map. You're going to need it to rescue Caly and Clemmy."

Ash snatched the map and flipped it open while muttering a spell. I gaped at my sister, tears filling my eyes. "They're okay?"

"For now. Clemmy is more important alive, and she won't cooperate if they hurt Caly."

"This is amazing," Ash breathed as lines formed on the paper. Then he frowned. "This doesn't make sense."

Harmony pushed herself to her feet. She swayed for a moment, not speaking until she steadied. "It's encrypted in case it fell into the wrong hands."

"Our hands," I said, unable to let go of the grudge I was holding even as my heart sang with happiness.

"I know you won't ever forgive me, but I risked everything to get that. It will lead you to them, and you've got to act fast. They're getting impatient."

"Who is?" Ash and I asked together.

"I've got to go," Harmony said, her head tilted as if she was listening to someone. "They'll trace me here if I don't move."

"Harmony," I shouted, but I was yelling at an empty space. The air crackled, my sister's magic lingering.

Ash ran his hand through the sparkles. "That only happens when a teleport isn't done well. She must have used all her remaining strength to get out of here."

I picked up Alma's book and folded the blanket. Ash tucked the map between the pages of the book, and we walked home in the fading autumn light, neither of us saying a word until we reached the driveway. He paused at the mailbox, eying my house with trepidation.

"Come on," I said, grabbing his hand. "You're not getting out of this one. We have to tell Mama."

He looked years younger, the vulnerability on his face leaving him exposed. I kissed his cheek and tugged him toward the house. "Are you kidding? She's probably going to make my dad grovel for your forgiveness first."

"First?"

"Yeah," I repeated. "Then she's going to bring the world down to save her family."