Chapter Forty: A Sign

Rose

As we worked our way through the gloomy tunnels, Luis complaining loudly as the water got deeper, I tried not to wonder whose blood provided the ink for the clue. It hadn't been a lot- not enough to worry me that the writer died from blood loss, but its placement made little sense at all.

Why would Atticus return to the palace at all, much less stop in Okea's apartments? And had the blood resulted from mistreatment at his hands, or had the person responsible willingly injured herself to write the message?

Clamping my chattering teeth together- though this journey was not as bad as the first thanks to my wetsuit- I rubbed at my temples, trying to push back the encroaching headache all this overthinking was causing me. It was a waste of time because the most likely answer was staring us all in the face.

I just didn't want to admit this could be a trap.

My only fear was that we would waste precious time that could cost someone their life if Atticus threw a big enough temper tantrum. I'd escaped the Below once and on my own. My magic might be tired, but I had two resourceful and powerful witches with me. Between the three of us, we could manage. Not to mention, the Atlantean king needed me. He would realize the truth as soon as he tried to use my mother.

"This place is delightful," Luis called out, water sloshing around his long legs as he quickened his pace to keep up. His words jittered when added, "I really should consider taking some of these decorating tips back home to Goodwin Manor. Really add to the creepy factor."

Daddy grunted. "You were tougher than this when we were kids. Being a rich asshole has made you weak."

Giggles bubbled on my tongue. My father rarely cursed or sounded cross. It was another strike against him where Clemmy had been concerned.

'A man without passion,'

she used to say,

'is like a push mower without gas. You can pull the rope start all you want, but it's never going to fire up and do its job.'

I'd like to think he would have earned at least a glimmer of respect if she were here right now.

"Shut up Basil," Luis clapped back. "Your lips are blue. I'm just saying what we're all feeling."

Up ahead I spied the place where the ceiling and the water met, and I spun around, glaring at the men behind me who were now bickering at one another in whispers I was grateful I couldn't hear.

"Just for your FYI, this is the second time I've been down here so whatever you think you have to complain about, you can shove it." They both paled at that. "Especially because you're going to have to swim for the next little bit."

Luis reacted the same way I had when Okea told me. Dad just looked resolute and nodded. Without asking, he conjured a bright light like the Atlantean girl's and sent it into the depths. Then a thread of magic wove its way around me, encasing me in warmth. I appreciated the help as I lacked the skill- or energy- to do it for myself right now. Luis wisely followed his lead and spun his own spell to protect himself from the cold.

"Move fast and be careful. The current is strong."

Dad frowned. "A current down here?" He put a hand on the wall and closed his eyes, the space beneath his palm turning amber. "This tunnel must feed directly out to the ocean."

"It's possible," I said, then shrugged. "I didn't ask a lot of questions or pay much attention last time we went through here." I didn't need to say the obvious- I was more concerned with staying alive.