Chapter Twenty-Nine: Omphalos

Rose

Malphas reeled back as if I'd struck him. Then, he narrowed his eyes, waiting for me to declare it was all a joke, but it wasn't. I was confused about a lot of things. Memories and moments that didn't belong to me still muddled my mind. I wasn't quite sure what I was now- something more than a witch, that was for sure, and later, I might sit and stew over the fact that in less than a day, I'd gone from powerless to powerful to something beyond understanding. And to top it all off, I was going on a treasure hunt for an item my now deceased grandmother told me to go looking for while in a fever dream.

The last thought stole the air from my lungs and made my eyes burn. Catching a tear on the tip of my finger, I drew in a shuddering breath. I was confused about a lot of things, but freeing Malphas wasn't one of them. The next few days would be the culmination of atrocities that began centuries ago and keeping Malphas a prisoner gave Atticus exactly what he wanted.

"Rose?" Malphas said, pulling my hand away from my face and staring at the tears cascading down my cheeks in horror.

"H-he killed her," I hiccuped, falling against his chest. The thin material of his shirt grew damp as I sobbed.

Clemmy was gone. The woman who terrified me. Turned my father into a rat. Kept Harmony in line when no one else could. And would go to war with anyone who dared threaten her family. I used to hate how she always tried to fix me. When everyone accepted I was powerless, she continued to make spells and research. I thought it was because she couldn't stand the thought of having an impoten grandchild, and knowing Clemmy, that was probably a part of it. But it was more than that. She refused to give up on me.

I cried harder, and Malphas tightened his arms around me. "I know. Only one Augur can exist at a time. I am sorry. I didn't know your grandmother, but if she was chosen, then she was a fierce creature of noble character. The Augur is blessed with sight and is the intermediary between humans and the gods. They give her visions to help shape events to their will."

"Chavi was the Augur."

His chin was sharp against the top of my head as he nodded, his grip becoming almost crushing. "She was younger than you when the role fell upon her shoulders. She was prepared, though. She was one of three girls identified as potential vessels at birth, and by the time she was six, the current Augur, Miko, had a vision confirming the next Augur. It's not often the Augur is told who her successor will be, but Chavi believed the gods were looking out for her, knowing she would become the Augur at such a young age."

"Clemmy said this was a gift from the gods of old. That it had nothing to do with power but heart. I'm guessing that was her way of apologizing for not preparing me for this future." I pulled away from Malphas and glared at the dusky heavens. "Y'all really couldn't have given her a hint?"

The sorcerer chuckled. "Chavi used to tell me the surest way to be kept in the dark about something was to be interested in it in the first place. When I didn't immediately manifest my animal form after reaching maturity, she began praying daily for the knowledge of when and what. The gods never uttered a peep."

We limped toward the mountain. Its imposing form was a dark shape against the brightening horizon, and a shiver rolled down my spine as my imagination ran wild. This would be no simple hike. The Atlanteans feared this place, and the Visians thought it a perfect place to hide an object of power.

"What's the point of this power, then?" I asked, rubbing my hands up and down my arms as a gust of biting wind whipped around us. It was as if between one step and the next we'd traded the balmy ocean warmth for arctic cold.

"What?"

"Visions? Being an intermediary? If they'd shown Chavi your true form, maybe things would have been different? Or hell, why not just come down and do it themselves?"

Malphas shook at my side, his teeth chattering together. "The gods don't have that kind of power here. Not anymore. They returned to the realm they were born in long ago because there were too many who sought to use their power for evil. That was when they appointed the Augur as an overseer of sorts. I d-don't suppose you could conjure some winter gear?"

I twisted my lips and stared at my hands. Becoming the Augur didn't mean I was suddenly a magical expert, but I felt better than I had since escaping the Below. Ten minutes later, all I'd accomplished was a few sparks that warmed my fingers enough to make me aware of how cold the rest of me was.

"You're going to have to let Ash out," I insisted, ignoring the surge of excitement in my chest. Excitement followed by a heaping dose of guilt because how was I going to explain that kiss to him?

"There she goes," Malphas growled, hunkering behind an enormous tree trunk to find relief from the wind. Pink ribboned the morning sky, and the top of the sun shimmered in the east.

"What?" I snapped, shoving my fingers into my armpits. "I don't fancy becoming a popsicle."

"You act like you've changed your mind about me, but at the first opportunity, you're trying to trap me again."

It was my turn to reel in surprise. "I just told you I would release you from your prison, and last I checked, you haven't had any problem wrestling control back from Ash when you want to be back in the driver's seat."

Flames sparked around the silver as the sorcerer glared at me. "Except if I agree to your new deal, that changes the terms of the contract, which means Ash will have more power and could keep me locked away. Perhaps even exorcise me."

"Oh," I said.

"Oh?" He ran a hand through Ash's dark hair, and I couldn't help but think of how Malphas had looked with his long blonde hair tied back with string. "You really hadn't considered that?"

"If this is going to work, we might actually have to trust each other. I don't remember all the details about what happened before. I know I saw what happened between you and Atticus, but it's all so murky and distorted. Clemmy said it was to protect our sanity, but I do remember that you were the wronged party. I won't lie to you. I want Ash back. Desperately. He-"

"He what?" Malphas demanded, stretching to his full height and leaning toward me. Something burned in his gaze.

All my guilt faded as the truth washed over me. "He's my Chavi."

The statement doused the inferno in his eyes, and it was replaced with grim acceptance. "I see."

I waited for him to tease me or attempt to seduce me, using his charm and Ash's body against my senses. But he only took two steps away from me before turning around. His shoulders rose and fell sharply as he drew in a deep breath.

"I agree to your deal with the concession that I retain control until you meet your end of the agreement. Otherwise, our original deal stands. Take it or leave it."

The words were colder than the mountain air. I nodded, knowing I could ask for nothing more.

"Agreed."

"I'll let him out. He can get us warmer clothes or at least cast a spell to protect us from the elements, and then we need to get a move on if we want to make any headway in the mountains before dark."

"How long will it take us to get the omphalos and get back down?" I asked when he turned back to face me, his expression a grim mask that changed to bewilderment.

"The omphalos can't be carried, Rose. It's a place, not a thing."

"What do you mean?" I sifted through Clemmy's words for any clue I might have missed. Surely, she didn't mean for me to guard this place indefinitely. "Why is a place important?"

"Because," he answered, pinching the bridge of his nose and muttering something in Visian, "It's the point where the gods exited this world."

"And?"

The rapid fire words falling from his mouth had to be curse words. "And, with the right spell, it's a gateway that can be opened."