Twenty-Four

Annabeth

When I was twelve, my mom decided she didn't want to be my guardian anymore. She didn't hate me or hate being my mother. She loved me very much. But she loved her work more than she did raising me. When her job moved overseas, she followed. That meant I had to return to my father's house.

By then, he remarried. His new wife was pretty and polite to me, welcoming me into her home. But the moment my father turned his back, she screamed and yelled at me, pulling my hair, and calling me horrible names. I tried to tell my father what she was truly like, but he wouldn't listen to me. I mean, who would? I was only twelve.

My father soon became the principle of the local high school. He was always gone, coming back from work way past my bedtime, leaving an hour before I woke up every day. I rarely saw my father. And that meant his wife, my evil stepmother, had all the time in the world to make me feel horrible. She tried to convince me to kill myself, because she claimed I was worthless and that no one would ever love me.

Two years later, the May before my fourteenth birthday, I finally had enough of the abuse, and I asked my dad if I could go to a summer camp. For several months. I was surprised when he agreed, and within a week, there I was, standing at the bus stop on the hill above the camp, suitcase beside me.

A few of my schoolmates were there, so I wasn't around complete strangers. Withing three weeks, I knew every person at that camp, and soon lost track of time. I was in heaven, running around with my new best friends. I was happy.

Then Percy showed up, and my world was turned upside down.

He was the most beautiful boy I had seen in my entire life. His smile lit up my world every time I glimpsed it. His laughter was intoxicating, and even the shy kids at camp who avoided everyone couldn't help but long for his company. He was a good listener, and though he was popular, he made sure the outcasts had a friend. He was kind, selfless, inspiring, funny, and gorgeous. Everything I wanted.

Everything most people wanted, apparently. He probably didn't realize it, but half the camp was fighting for his attention. Girls wooed over him, and many pushed me away when they found out I was his close friend. I had never felt envied before I became friends with him.

I was in love with a boy. I thought he would never love me.

But then he kissed me...

Sitting on the edge of my bed, tears rolling down my face, I stared at the caller ID. My father had been calling for over twenty minutes now, sending 'Answer your phone' texts every time I let it reach voicemail. Magnus sat on the bed beside me, rubbing my back gently and leaning against me in a side hug. My cousin had a worried look on his face, and he kept glancing at my open bedroom door.

We sat in silence for a while, my father finally giving up his attempt at calling me. Magnus grabbed my hand and squeezed it gently, trying to cheer me up. I wiped a tear and was about to apologize to him when the phone buzzed again. An unknown number had texted me.

Is this Annabeth?

Magnus glanced at the text and frowned. "Who is that?"

"I don't know. Should I answer?" My cousin simply shrugged. "Wow, you're so helpful."

Yes. Who is this?

It took a few moments for a response.

Rachel.

I groaned. Could this day get ANY worse?

How did you get my number?
A mutual friend.