Twenty-five

Nico

How long would I have to stay here?

I rolled over and smashed a pillow against my ears as an alarm went off. Who wakes up at six in the morning on a Sunday?

Will Solace, apparently.

I heard the alarm turn off, and curiously peered from under the pillow. The blond boy sat up in bed and yawned. I blushed as he crawled out of his bed wearing only shorts. A large golden tattoo stretched across his left pectoral. He had a tattoo at this age?

I pulled my feet into the warm covers as a burst of cold air entered the room when he opened the door. He disappeared for a few moments. I had just started to fall asleep again when he returned, wearing black jogging pants and a grey tank top. He tried to tiptoe back to his bed but tripped over his laundry basket. He cursed and steadied himself on the edge of the bed. I snickered, then realized I was supposed to pretend to be asleep.

Will looked up and smiled. "Sorry I woke you. You can go back to bed, don't worry."

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "Well, I'm up now. What are you doing?"

"Going for a run in the forest. Want to come with?" He casually asked me, most likely knowing I would refuse his offer.

It had been several months since I quit volleyball, so most people thought I had turned into a lazy couch potato. Little did they know I still exercised. A lot.

"Sure, let me change though." I pulled the covers off and slid into the chilly air. I almost regretted my decision.

"Wait, really? You want to go running, in the morning, on a weekend?" Will's blue eyes widened, illuminated by the glowing twilight seeping through the window blinds.

"Yes," I found some sweatpants and a white shirt, slipping into the closet to change. When I walked back out into the room, Will was sitting on his bed, legs crossed, scrolling through his phone.

"Mind if I play some music on my speaker while we jog?" He asked as he followed me out into the dark hallway. No one else was up in the house, or at least not up and about. We quietly made our way downstairs and out of the house.

"Sure, but if I don't like it, you're changing it," I answered, tying my running shoes, and sitting down.

Will looked down with a smile. "Good, you stretch first, too."

We both sat on the ground and stretched for a few minutes. When my back wasn't aching anymore, I stood up and reached out for Will's hand. He weighed more than I expected.

"Oof," I winced as I helped lift him to his feet.

"It's the muscle," He smiled and tapped his phone, Start a Riot suddenly blasting from his pocket. And with a cocky smile, he stuck out his tongue and raced off.

"Hey, wait up!" I called out as he jogged around the corner of the house, in between the row of fences. He was a bit faster than me, but I sped up and we jogged a few feet away from each other. We made our way into the forest, a concrete path leading us around the trees and bushes.

I hadn't gone for a run out in nature in months. Birds fluttered over my head, and small creatures scattered as we raced past their burros. No one else was on the path, so we didn't stop for what seemed like two miles. Finally, just as I started to lose my breath, Will slowed down, and stopped beside a bench beside the path. He leaned over and pulled a small cooler from underneath the seat.

"Cecil and I keep this here for any joggers. I wonder how many bottles are left," He opened it and smiled. "Bingo!"

He stood and tossed me a cold water-bottle. I caught it and chugged a few gulps, the cold condensation dripping off the bottle and down on my sweaty neck. Will pulled out his phone as he drank and sat down on the bench. PAID MY DUES blasted from the small speaker he pulled out of his pockets and placed next to his leg. I watched as his bright blue eyes scanned his phone screen. He glanced up and smiled.